Saturday, January 19, 2019

Song Sparrow


Song Sparrow

Last evening wild turkeys grazed
Baptist church's lower hill,
and early morn Eastern Screech Owl
feigned to be farmyard cock,
while roadside a blue-black Raven worked
rabbit’s carcass before spiraling skyward.

I walk lakes and streams, field & forest, five-mile loop
of seasonal Flycatchers, Yellowthroats,
Loons, Mergansers, and Grebe,
Kingfishers, Bluebirds, Catbirds as well.
Relish in the flash of rarity
caught from corner of my eye,

often camera too slow to catch anything
other than a vacant spot, have yet to spy Pileated...
settle for a Song Sparrow's trill
just outside my front door...
ponder why I overlooked this cheery greeter,
uplifting mountain's wintry, misty days;

why the need for pomp and circumstance,
when plain and simple will do?

by Margaret Bednar, January 19, 2019

This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Weekend Mini Challenge - Mustn't be Fancy" in honor of Mary Oliver.  She has been a HUGE influence on me.  RIP, classy lady.  You will be missed, but your words will continue to keep us company. 

15 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

You always take us in the riches of trips. I feel like a giddy child, containing the giggles so that sneaky owl won't hear me as I delight in its presence through the eyes of your words. There is so much magic and wonder to be found what Nature blesses us with.

Helen said...

This is a perfect reminder of Ms. Oliver’s poetic style and I love how you describe your surroundings.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

A busy countryside of small creatures. How lovely. You took us right along with you!

tonispencer said...

The songs of sparrows and the hoots of owls...perfect words Margaret.

Kim M. Russell said...

A wonderful walk through nature – and why not settle for a settle for a Song Sparrow's trill just outside your front door? I love the final lines!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

The closing lines took my breath away!💞 This is simply gorgeous, Margaret!

brudberg said...

I love the richness of your walk... all the birds I never knew... but still so different from the winter landscape of ours. To me this is very much Mary Oliver.

Other Mary said...

The specifics of your birds, your place show your love and appreciation. And your closing comes as a revelation to and your reader. Lovely.

Kerry O'Connor said...

A wondrous tally of birds, sometimes the familiar is overlooked in favour of something fancy.

Marian said...

Love this, Margaret.

Jim said...

Really nice, Margaret, I could hear the birds singing. You must, if this is you, have a beautiful place for walking. I envy the five miles, it's been a while since I've walked that far. I used to run that or a little more, in the rain I felt like a deer running. Now it is doctor's orders. 30 minutes five days a week.
Bunches of will miss Mary O. I used to keep her Poetry Handbook (??) Checked out regularly. Instead I bought Ted Kooser's "Poetry Repair Manual.
..

Susie Clevenger said...

Beautiful...Yes, we seem to weary ourselves with much when the beauty of plain and simple is often missed.

purplepeninportland.com said...

All nature's wonderful music. Beautiful, Margaret!

grapeling said...

a clear eye ~

Vivian Zems said...

Mary Oliver would be proud of you. Setting for the simple is a better choice.