Saturday, February 7, 2015

"Burgeoning"

George Robertson 1856 - Oil on Canvas
Burgeoning 

As a child, I'd dip my toes
in slow moving rocky waters
the Suak and Fox called Sinnisippi

believed if I closed my eyes
I'd feel history clear through my fingertips…

recall Black Hawk's towering profile
overlooking his beloved rugged hills,
the birdsong…

touched my hand to the old oaks;
wondered if he'd leaned against these very trees
that dip and sway at river's edge…

remember sitting amongst clover
and alfalfa, sun upon my shoulders,
immersed in various thoughts

forgetting about chores I'd been sent out to do.
Labeled "lazy".  Like to think it was the birthing of a poet.

by Margaret Bednar, February 7, 2015 



The challenge over at "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads- Your Poetic Eye: Kumulipo" (imagined by Ella) is to share the embryonic state of a poem we write AND add the richness of the state in which we were born.  My state is "Illinois".   I also twisted the challenge a bit and used the idea of how my poetic views might have originated way back when I was a child and had little confidence in myself - dreaming to become an author  (dreamed I would write the sequel to "Gone with the Wind) never believing I was good at anything (still struggle with this)

I do remember going to see Chief Black Hawk and was quite caught up reading about him.  I also grew up on a 10 acre "farmette" in which the Rock River flows directly below the banks of our field and tree line.  My parents still live there - and I haven't visited that spot in over 25 years.  I will have to walk over the field and down the rather steep bank, and cross a seldom used railroad track.   Of course, I'll bring my camera.   The Rock River is a tributary of the Mississippi River.

I am also linking with a very nice and kind poetry challenge site "Poetry Jam" - Journey is the topic for topic for today.

and linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Tuesday Platform" .

25 comments:

brudberg said...

What a wonderful image of walking there feeling history in the bark f the trees. To be labelled lazy, when you are full of thoughts.. How sad.. Wonder how bewildered we can be before finding our own paths.

Wolfsrosebud said...

love how you share the thought process years ago and how it all stayed with you... poets are observers of life and thinkers of what it all means

Brian Miller said...

do you remember that old indian commercial with the chief overlooking the lands...that is the picture i got...its pretty cool...we used to explore all over....walk for miles from home...find holes to crawl in...looking for those links to history....

Outlawyer said...

Really charming, Margaret--a lovely memory and one sees the burgeoning of a photographer also--Thanks. k. (http://manicddaily.wordpress.com)

Gail said...

Great piece. I like that you think of the history of a place.

Mary Ann Potter said...

"History through your fingertips"- a beautiful image. I understand this. There's a special richness in your words. Your emergence as a poet isn't suffused with trite sentimentality but with the experiences of real people, real places.

I grew up in western Michigan. My father made sure that I knew about places like this. You've created a vivid work that tells me how important it all was.

Loved it!!!

Laura said...

Indeed a perfect birthing place by the waters edge… for poets, musicians, artists and dreamers… all of us who create, inspired and blessed by Creation on our journeys.

Mary said...

Interesting to reflect back and find where a person's poetic JOURNEY began. I am sure that for many it went back to childhood. Those times of being 'lazy' were undoubtedly times of reflection; and hey, I am very familiar with the FOX River in the state directly north!

Arathi Harihar said...

it's nice to look back to find the journey of the poet inside you...beautiful lines

Gabriella said...

I enjoyed this journey, both in time, and in Illinois. We are indeed shaped by our childhood and the memories we have of it.

Boisterous Bee said...

Well done Margaret..!!

Cheers

Abbey Michael Boyle Blount Fallin said...

sweet!

Abbey Michael Boyle Blount Fallin said...

Greetings:

how are you today?

Thursday Poets Rally Week 80, You Are Invited, Free of Theme….Hope to see you in…


http://promisingpoetsparkinglot.blogspot.com/2015/02/hyde-park-poetry-palace-thursdy-poets.html



Happy February, Have A Productive Monday!

Keep Writing poetry, share with poets rally ...

We're bless to have you with US , your talent and inspirations are JOY to have
and appear INVALUABLE to US!

take good care,
Thanks for the smiles!
xoxox















Susan said...

Absolutely! I too realized only a short while ago that it was in youth the dalliance and search was born in my spirit. This is my new favorite of your poems.

Susan said...

Absolutely! I too realized only a short while ago that it was in youth the dalliance and search was born in my spirit. This is my new favorite of your poems.

Wendy Bourke said...

Lovely and edifying. I was especially moved by your reference to the old oaks.

Intelliblog said...

A journey to the past through nature's time machine. How wonderful! I really enjoyed this.

Kerry O'Connor said...

This conjures for me a certain image I have of America - part history - part fiction - but made very real with your words.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

A beautiful poem. I loved the place names, and the wondering back in time.......yes, the birth of a poet for sure!

Jazzbumpa said...

nicely done and very personal

thanks for sharing

cheers
jzb

kaykuala said...

How very privileged you are Marge! Walking through the greenery along the river-banks anyone would trade for. Will be waiting to see the pics.

Hank

Susie Clevenger said...

A beautiful peek into your poetic beginnings.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

A beautiful evocation of your childhood home and childhood self. You made me want to be there too — and gradually took me there. :)

rallentanda said...

Memories of daydreaming by the river...beautiful thoughts!

Jim said...

The Birthing of a Poet. You weren't taught, Margaret, but you had those feelings needing to be expressed. I am glad you chose poetry for your form, it can be more expressive of those feelings than prose.
I had those thoughts several years ago when I visited Jerusalem. I even saved my shoes, shoes which had crossed Jesus' path many, many times in my seven days spent there.
..