Monday, February 9, 2015

"Red"

Nancy Medina Art
Red
“...because a red geranium has blossomed open.”   Carilda Olivar Labra

Grandma’s red-roses nest my earliest memories
of sisters and me seated beneath fragrant blooms, 
white trellis a backdrop for Polaroid images now faded with a time

when Grandma sat and enjoyed evening’s breeze
while we balanced blocks sky high, tested sidewalk’s freedom 
in front of her small red house, unsuccessfully tried 
to quiet childish country voices.  

Earthy and safe was the scent of her yard, clothes wrung 
and hung on t-post clothes line, grass tickled bare feet 
as we picked cherries from gnarled trees; impatiently waited 
for warm tart pies with buttery crust.

***

Drove by her house long after she’d passed, years after I’d married.  
Gone, the splash of reds which made Grandma’s house stand out.  
Had to circle round twice to be sure.

To this day wish I’d a green thumb; thank heaven 
for my hardy scalloped lace-leaved flowers that last 
all summer long, give me that dash of color I'll always crave.

By Margaret Bednar, February 9, 2015



The beautiful painting is by a phenomenal artist Nancy Medina.  Her website is gorgeous and her paintings and workshops are truly awe inspiring.  Please, go check it out!  


Reflecting upon this challenge, I realized I really do crave red.  It is prominent in my bedroom and I have splashes of it all throughout my home.  


Would you like to hear me read my poem? 

10 comments:

brudberg said...

Margaret.. those colors of flowers are sometimes so hard to get and sometimes so very easy.. I try to go with the flow -- geraniums which seems to thrive in the neglect.. I bring them in during winter and take them out in summer.. cutting them down, and take the cutting into fresh soil.. But maybe other flowers will thrive for you. Sometimes I think that green thumbs is finding the plants that works for you.. (BTW roses always fail for me).

Grace said...

Such lovely memories of your grandmother- warm summer, red red roses & scent of her yard ~ I wish I have a green thumb too, smiles ~

Thanks for linking up and wishing you happy week ~

Sherry Blue Sky said...

This took me right back to my Grandma's yard, her flowers, the clothes on the line.........fantastic, Margaret!

Outlawyer said...

There's a real poignancy here, Margaret. I would be rather afraid to drive by my Grandmother's houses. Thanks. k. (Manicddaily)

Ella said...

I also feel like I am just visited my grandmother~ She had green thumbs and fingers and her favorite color was red~
This whole poem makes me smile!

Sreeja said...

This really brought back many memories for me too....red is so vibrant..
I follow Nancy Medina art...it is so good to see the paintings...

Earthy and safe was the scent of her yard, clothes wrung
and hung on t-post clothes line, grass tickled bare feet
as we picked cherries from gnarled trees; impatiently waited
for warm tart pies with buttery crust.

These lines are my fav....

humbird said...

Thank you for pleasure you brought by reading your authentical poem, so natural yet evocative memory of childhood, of 2 sisters, I can recall too....,and accompanied art - so appropriate and appreciated response to the prompt/poems by O. Labra.

Jennifer Wagner said...

Delightfully told memories, Margaret. I wish I had a green thumb, too. Sigh...maybe I'm just a late bloomer (ha) and it will come.

Beautiful new photo of you, too!

Susie Clevenger said...

What beautiful memories. It was such a treat to hear you read your poem!

Raining Iguanas said...

Margaret this was a lovely reading, your voice like a fresh garnish. I am learning to enjoy reading my poems, the biggest challenge for me has been finding a quiet spot void of passing cars or rumbling furnace.