Thursday, December 1, 2022

Longing

 


Longing

Beyond the lonely light of the moon
I witness all that is quiet,
and my fingers,
familiar with beaded bone,
wish this was my ordinary,
this temporary oasis before stretch of day.

Wish I could join the dance,
let moon become my friend again,
for a glimpse at water's edge,
of blessings,
of beautiful melodies,
all without a hint of subterfuge,

where newfound desire to shine
would be appreciated,
gifting me with freedom, with life;
for service, not idolatry.

Yet, of the sweet, stubborn, and selfish,
some things never change.

by Margaret Bednar, December 1, 2022

This is written for the challenge over at: dVerse MTB (meeting the bar): In my end is my beginning.  Take ending lines of your most recent poetry (at least 12) and create a new poem.  Lines must remain intact, but can be placed in any order, may add preposition, conjunction, and change tense.  Enjambment is allowed.  

I looked at about 30 of my most recent poems and selected ending lines from 16.

THIS WAS NOT EASY!  (beaded bone = rosary)

15 comments:

ms_lili said...

I feel the melancholy here and hope she finds the moon's light again.

Gillena Cox said...

Nice one, a difficult construct, yet yours flowed so easily

much💜love

Laura Bloomsbury said...

Margaret you made this look easy as the stanzas blend so beautifully together - a delightful read

Sunra Rainz said...

Seamlessly done, Margaret. Love that first stanza especially :-)

Tanmay Thomas Philip said...

It's amazing what you did with your last lines: the change of emotion with each stanza, And such a good ending. It all flows very naturally.

paeansunplugged said...

What a wonderful flow and the ending is lovely.

Grace said...

A bit of a nostaglia and sadness but these lines are my favorites:

gifting me with freedom, with life;
for service, not idolatry.

Helen said...

This is lovely, Margaret. Each stanza reads as a stand alone poem ~~ you used those last lines masterfully.

Mish said...

I like the depth of contemplation that does not feel heavy here, but floats within the imagery. So beautifully done!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Oh my this is absolutely stunning, Margaret!! 😍😍

Kim Whysall-Hammond aka The Cheesesellers Wife said...

You can't tell that this poem came from a collection of last lines - it all goes together so well.

Merril D. Smith said...

This flowed so well. It didn't seem like a compilation of last lines.
The longing came through, a melancholy awarenes.

dwru27 said...

Very nicely done! Amazing how the lines seem to come together.

brudberg said...

This came together perfectly, and it looks much easier when it's done than it really is.

purplepeninportland.com said...

Lines flow beautifully here, Margaret!