Sunday, August 22, 2021

College Bound

College Bound

A memory 
is a moment that lasts forever, 
encapsulates itself in a fragile tear,
a sigh, a distant gaze.

Today it's heavy and light,
a full deep breath and quivering smile,
something I want resurrected,
wished back.  Yet I know
she is more than ready for this journey.

It seems memories (made and unmade)
are piled high atop and in the Subaru.  
I didn't see Pooh in her room;
wonder if he's squished inside a box
traveling away from me, too,

but can't ask 
as memories are stuck in my throat
and I can only hug her,
tell her "I love you", and hope she believes
how much she will be missed. 

by Margaret Bednar, August 22, 2021

It has been forever since I have been able to sit down and write a poem.  I have had an incredibly busy last few months.  I've missed my poetry peeps and can't wait to catch up.  I am off to take my youngest daughter out to dinner and see her off in the morning... her Dad is driving her to NJ for college... Christmas break seems a long way off.  

13 comments:

Gillena Cox said...

Wishing her the best. Memories do contain sighs.
Happy Sunday

Much❤love

indybev said...

That's such a tough goodbye. Letting go is so hard to do

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Ah, such a bitter-sweet moment, full of so many mixed feelings! You've told it beautifully.

phillip woodruff (jalopy dreams) said...

oh... what tough moment, both heartbroken and proud, all at the same time. i feel you, i really do, she'll be ok, she's got pooh! =)

Jim said...

It's hard to have them leave. I see she won't have a car, I did not either and would ride home with a few whose parents lived in towns close. My parents bought two mailing boxes, tough and reusable, to send laundry back and forth. I would mail dirty clothes while she mailed clean ones back. The Greyhound busses would also haul them.
I lived in a room rented from Mom's aunt, about a mile from the school, University of Nebraska. I would walk the mile if I didn't see a bus coming in the distance. Oh yes, that was before self laundromats and I didn't have washing privileges with the aunt. But then she also rented out two more rooms so it would be hard for all to use the machine, and I would be a favorite if only I could.
I am glad to see you finding time to write, your poetry is great for my senses. I hope you are in good health.
..

Dr. Vandana Sharma said...

A new journey about to begin!
Best wishes.

dsnake1 said...

oh, such bittersweet moments.
Best wishes on her journey.

Cressida de Nova said...

Beautifully expressed thoughts.

Helen said...

Your poetry brings back those memories of having to let go … a mixture of pride, worry, time moving on. Spencer’s day will come and then Empty Nest life will settle in … and you look forward to all the reunions! So nice to see you in poetry land.

colleen said...

I love the image of the pile of memories atop the Subaru and the Pooh bear stuffed in somewhere. I really felt the emotion here. Funny how the grief and the pride when they head out are equal. http://www.looseleafnotes.com/2021/08/anxious/

Magaly Guerrero said...

I love the vividness of the imagery and the tenderness of the details. The love and the longing is palpable. The winter break will be extra special, I suspect.

Khaya Ronkainen said...

Oh, a tender and loving poem! Those college trips are a necessity, and also make holiday breaks that much special. All the best to your daughter as she spread her wings. <3

Rommy said...

Very familiar and dear to my heart. Darling Eldest goes back to his college campus tomorrow. Darling Youngest is staying close to home, but they start this week too.