Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Yearning

 

Yearning

"From the solemn gloom of the temple
children run out to sit in the dust,
God watches them play and forgets the priest"...

My collection of Marian planters
align perfectly upon dusted shelves -
no nerf gun bullets hidden inside.

Carpet's nap pristine -
no footprints tell tales 
of make-believe.

Toys double stacked in neat rows
tucked away in closet -
no lego man sticks to heel or sole.

Entryway's hooks and basket
add architectural interest - not a respite
for seasonal jackets and misplaced shoes.

Inhale silence, wait for peace
to flower within...
find I yearn for yesteryear.

by Margaret Bednar, June 16, 2021

Back in the day, I had six children who created quite a mess - longed for the day when rooms would look like a magazine spread ... or so I thought.  

This is a writing prompt offered by Toad Hall Editions if you support and join them on Patreon.  You can follow them on Instagram at toadhalleditions.  They are creating a publishing ecosystem that lives and thrives on collaboration, mutual benefit, and equity.  (My poet friends - you should look into this :)  

I will also link this with "Poets & Storytellers United Tuesday Platform" - next week. 

1 comment:

Helen said...

Oh I had a good giggle at this one!!! Those days of yore, I miss. Nice to see you and your poems!!!!!