Sunday, November 24, 2019

Contentment


Contentment

Lemons float like little half-moons
amongst onyx tea leaves, cinnamon sticks,
and honey; the scent of earth.

Divine is what comes to mind as I inhale,
bring my lips to cup’s rim.  Sigh.

November's wind whistles outside,
first snowflakes fall.  Cats curled fireside,
puppies pillowed, a book, a quilt,
hot tea.  A whole teapot full.

by Margaret Bednar, November 24, 2019

my book is "Hedingham Harvest - Victorian Family Life in Rural England" by Geoffrey Robinson and I'm loving it.  Fire is at my feet (as is my cat) and the puppies are curled up on their new dog beds.  This tea is served from the Frankoma teapot my Mother-in-law gave me and I used my china coffee cup as it is bigger than my teacup.  I went online and purchased three Frankoma (1980's I think is when it was made) pottery mugs and saucers as I think it's so pretty - it's fun to match a bit.

Linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Get Listed - Mystery Guest"

11 comments:

brudberg said...

Oh I really love the way you can provide comfort even in early winter were I feel nothing really may help.

said...

I especially love the beautiful first stanza.

Debi Swim said...

What a comforting picture. Your words soothe like a lullabye

Jim said...

Winters are sooo leasing when we enjoy it appropriately to all the circumstances ac ording to the many factors affecting us and it.
I.e act our age, position, etc.
..
Loved reading this.

Fireblossom said...

Sounds like bliss to me!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is absolutely stunning!!❤️❤️

Dom said...

Perfect way to capture the cozy feeling of early winter. Nothing better than a cup of tea against the elements outside <3

Jenna said...

Beautiful imagery of the lemons and the tea! "Like little half moons" is an apt simile.

Kerry O'Connor said...

This is lovely, Margaret. A divinely relaxing moment.

purplepeninportland.com said...

Such a warm, cozy feeling from the pot of tea to those pillowed puppies.

Susie Clevenger said...

You've painted such a beautiful image of contentment. I can see, smell the tea, and feel the peace such a moment brings.