Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Reflected


Reflected

Beneath lily pads, clouds cavort above sunfish, bluegill, and bass,
as mountain laurels and rhododendrons showcase green
upon water's smooth surface,

no resplendent flash of pinks or rosebay as high summer has passed,
chicks have grown, and swan seems to have lost his mate
as solitaire he soldiers on about the lake.

I can hear babbling brook, as summer without rain is unheard of,
feel sun's heated brand upon my back as it peaks between clouds
blanketing sky in a downy fashion,

and peer between tall grasses at water's edge, enjoying blues,
emeralds and golds reflected and rippling, circles drifting,
disappearing beneath lily pads and dancing clouds.

by Margaret Bednar, August 21, 2019

This is linked (LATE) with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Wordy Weekend Mini-Challenge - Messages in Water" AND "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Tuesday Platform".

And "The Sunday Muse/Wednesday Muse: The Beach".  We were given permission to use a lake scene as well, so it is not as oceany as the image offered in this prompt... 

11 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

This is such a lovely late-summer poem, Margaret. Right now, we are feeling the first touch of fall. I know the days will warm again through September, but it is astonishing to me how this summer flashed by in a few sparse weeks.

brudberg said...

This sounds like a wonderful setting where I would love to linger, just to listen and swim in the scents I imagine.

Jim said...

Sooo soothing, Margaret. Your verses put me back onto my favorite golf course, now closed. Some of those lakes/larger ponds here dry towards late summer. Most of our summer rains are tropical in nature and that isn't happening again this year.
Even without thinking a pretty golf course, the lily pads remind me of the day my golf ball went into a pond but when we got closer we found my ball resting on a lily pad.
..

Carrie Van Horn said...

Such beautiful images of nature you have captured here Margaret! I love it!

tonispencer said...

Lily pads. I love them. So soothing is this poem. I would love to float in a canoe over those fish.

Magaly Guerrero said...

All those colors and sounds and pretty shapes! So alive and summery...

Rommy said...

Lovely depiction of late summer's charms. I like how this both feels like a specific moment in time yet conveys the feel of time passing as well.

Anmol (HA) said...

What a lovely scene! Your use of colours and sounds works so well in setting the atmosphere of this poem. :-)

Vivian Zems said...

From the sky to the land you have described our earth beautifully.



C. Sandlin said...

This is marvelous & beautiful but the stanza beginning "I can hear the babbling brook" just steals my breath--it feels like the heart of the poem suddenly revealed.

purplepeninportland.com said...

Love this, Margaret! Your imagery all the way through is outstanding.