Thursday, June 6, 2019

Precarious


Precarious

I walk along the shore, stop, slowly scan moist sand,
am delighted with little islands of water surrounding rocks,
shells, an occasional dying jellyfish.

Remember my excitement at finding three scotch bonnets
last spring.  Today I've a small bucket with moon snails;
the Atlantic's gift to me this spring morn.

I sift through them knowing beauty often belies nature,
and these little emperors of the sea swaggered blue bicorn hats and swords,
drilled holes in prey and consumed.

My eyes follow the pull of the tide, over the surf, to the lull
of peaceful blues and greens; know dolphins are giving birth
and Loggerhead sea turtles are nesting.

Mothers and new life.  Marvel at the delicate balance;
how some will protect, others will allow stars to guide
and nature to provide and predict baby's fate.

Danger lurks throughout the deep, and many, so young,
will perish and others, through chance or fate, will thrive
beneath turquoise waters where I stand at tide's edge and wonder.

by Margaret Bednar, June 6, 2019




This is linked with "Imaginary Garden of Real Toads - Guest Appearance with Ella Wilson - Tarot Cards"  I hope I followed the directions "Your Interpretation does not have to follow the traditional reading of tarot, may be as magical as your own imagination."  Obviously, I used them as inspiration for my feelings along the shore.  The deck I chose looked like it had a moon snail (or shark eye) shell on top of it - I have collected a few of these.  The overall feeling I got from the tarots was "perilous" or "precarious" - a bit of soldier, protection, danger - but a feeling of fragility as well...

10 comments:

Jim said...

Standing near the water, but above it a little, observing the different sea life activity there. Doing that in itself is a pleasant and rewarding activity but putting your experiences on paper for readers to enjoy and learn seems more rewarding still. I loved reading this work and was lost in enjoyment of what you were feeling.
..

Ella said...

I felt the calmness of your discoveries and the well of wonder-as the reader knows the hour glass always shifts. The delicate balance played throughout your poem like a walk on the seashore, one eye on the beauty with the awareness of to what may lurk.

Your poem made me feel like I was walking on my shore cautiously optimistic, but aware that out of the blue lightning can strike.

Your poem was beautiful to read and made me miss my childhood shore~

Thank you, Margaret!

Kerry O'Connor said...

What a truly beautiful poem, Margaret. I love how the walk beside the sea was linked to the cards in your imagery. The mood is so gentle, but the reminder of certain painful experiences makes this very relevant.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

How wonderful, to walk along with you and see the shore through your eyes. I loved it.

Susie Clevenger said...

This is beautiful and love your union of sea and cards. I haven't searched for sea glass lately. That is one of my favorite things to do. I too wonder about the life that lies beyond the shore. Life is certainly precarious.

purplepeninportland.com said...

I like this ending which purports more discoveries to be made. Lovely, Margaret.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Oh gosh this is stunning! I love especially; "I sift through them knowing beauty often belies nature."

robkistner said...

Loved the nautical spirit of your poem here Margaret, just magical, beautiful! I am fascinated how the cards inspired you in this direction, but the inspiration certainly delivered.

Margaret said...

@robkistner - There is another photograph in the challenge - we had to select either shell, feather, or peacock ore) and I chose the shell - which I have a collection of...

Brendan said...

Reckoning this way the sea is the Tarot Dealer, for better or ill but a mother nonetheless. Your affinity with her traces through the gentle swashes of this poem.