Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Kindred

Glastonbury Tor - Somerset, England / Photo Creds:  Chelsea Bednar
Kindred

With poppies on the hill and wind-tossed hair,
whisperings of Arthur, Aquarius, and Goddess
echo within Tor's weathered arch.

I touch St. Michael's ancient stones,
find it easy to believe in dragons and fairies
and feel the caress of my ancestors' venerable song.

by Margaret Bednar, June 5, 2019

This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Platform Tuesday" and "dVerse Poets Pub - Quadrille #81" - a poem in 44 words and use of the word "dragon".

Below is an amazing video and short historical narrative of Glastonbury Tor.



and the "Faerie woods on Glastonbury Tor - truly magical - do yourself a favor and watch it.



My daughter is just outside London for three months on a work-away program.  She is offering her art skills in exchange for room/board and food.  Her first trip was to Glastonbury Tor. I encourage you to follow her on Instagram as she will start posting her photos and experiences soon:

Instagram https://www.instagram.com/chelsea.susan.bednar/

and https://www.instagram.com/chelseabednardesign/ 

She also has an Etsy site where she specializes in handmade, stitched journals amongst other wonderful items:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/chelseabednardesign







14 comments:

colleen said...

It's written in stone. The poppy is like the exclamation mark to the old that holds old stories.

Anmol (HA) said...

Such an apt title for this verse — I really liked the setup with that belief and caress in the last couple of lines. :-)

De Jackson said...

How amazing - and WONDERFUL!

Your daughter is living my daughter's two-to-three-years-from-now fantasy life! I'm going to tell her to follow her on Instagram! :)

And YES, I too believe that all it takes to believe in dragons is the touching of ancient stones...

tonispencer said...

regardless of the length, when one posts two poems for open link, I still read only one. I am glad I chose this one. Ad it is easy to believe in dragons when one sees a dragonfly whirring about.

De Jackson said...

Toni, I know our Open Link only allows one poem posted, but the Quadrille (which this was linked to) has always welcomed more than one poem.
:) Still your choice, of course, how many you read. I'm glad you chose this one, too. It's wonderful. <3

De Jackson said...

Toni, I know "open link" only allows one poem, but the Quadrille (which this was linked to) has always welcomed multiple poems. :) Still your choice how many you read, of course.

brudberg said...

This is a wonderful take on dragon... those places where you can feel as if time stands still.

Kim M. Russell said...

Welcome to the UK, Chelsea! Margaret, please make sure she visits Norfolk, especially Norwich – a fine city! Glastonbury Tor is awesome, but I think Norwich has much to offer, including dragons and fairies!

Old Egg said...

Well as an ex-patriot Pom in Australia it is so good to hear and see that your daughter is seeing the historic beauty of Great Britain...and there is so much more to see. Despite having lived as an Aussie for over 50 years both my wife and I went back many times to visit all the places we missed before.

Kerry O'Connor said...

How could one not be inspired to write poetry in such a venerable place - the store house of our most beloved stories.

Jim said...

Beautiful, Margaret. "easy to believe in dragons and fairies," not that I believe in Dragon magic but I did join the "World Dragon Day" Facebook group to check on them. No opinion, only slight activ8ty.
I'm envious, I hope your daughter can take a day or weekend trip to Isle of Man. On the road south there is a knot in the road to make room for a fairy garden. I am 1/4 Manx heritage, we had to go.
..

Jim said...

Going north though is much better, a train goes there.
https://jimmiehov.blogspot.com/2007/10/isle-of-man-holiday-no-01-arrival-at.html?m=1
..

Waltermarks said...

Such a beautiful setting between ancient structures and flowers on a hillside could easily transport anyone to that mythical time and place, well said Margaret!

Rommy said...

There are just some places that exude magic so strongly that they feel like another world. I've never been to Glastonberry Tor, but it sounds wonderful. I hope the rest of your daughter's travels are just as lovely.