Friday, May 17, 2019

Promises

My peony buds basking in the mountain sun...
Promises

I planted eyes and a crown beneath the dirt,
watched as rain fell and suns rose and set.
Waited seasons for blooms
promising romance and fortuity
(for that's what the seed packet said).

Fragrant flowers eventually flaunted paper-like foliage
of strawberry cremes, pastels, Julia Rose;
and once upon a summer, my own Paeon arrived,
planted a kiss upon my lips, flushed my cheeks
all shades of peony pink.

Happily-ever-after sprouts peony buds
beneath my mountain's golden crown;
my love's hands calloused,  mine dirt-stained
awaiting rain, sunsets, and blooms
and lips that still like to be kissed. 

by Margaret Bednar, May 17, 2019

This is linked with "The Sunday Muse - Wednesday Muse #8 Garden Spot" and a nod to Shay & Sherry for the "I planted" idea.  "Eyes and crown" are a part of the peony bulb plant... and romance and good fortune are some of the things peony's symbolize...

A glimpse of my floral gardens...





4 comments:

Fireblossom said...

I love peonies. The old couple next door when moved here had them in profusion all along the common back yard fence. The new residents brought in gravel and made that side of the double lot a parking lot for their freaking trucks. A few peonies do still come up each year, though, along with the wild onions. It's a darn shame.

tonispencer said...

love peonies. We always had bushes of them at the home place and I dug up a few and brought them with me. I love your description of them!

Magaly Guerrero said...

The last stanza is a joy. I love the intimate tone, the ever-growing love, the naturalness of two people loving each other for years and years and years (and gardens) and more...

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh your gardens are beautiful! And your poem is so lovely. I miss peonies, their gorgeous scent.