Thursday, December 13, 2018

My Ordinary



My Ordinary

The geese have long since
v'd their way south,
bare feet have been replaced with boots,
yet I still

sink footprints into chilled sand,
tide fills them up,
makes them disappear;
a wonder of which I never tire.

My heart pounds yet isn't heard
above roaring surf,
an exhilaration that is commonplace,
at least for me.

I pity the ones who never know
the wonder of a flock of seagulls
lifting in unison, filling horizon with swoops
and angled wings, riding ocean's breeze

beneath clouds that tell me
it's time to settle inside, before a warm fire,
before the snow descends,
book in hand, cat on lap,

all the while thanking God
this is my ordinary.

by Margaret Bednar, November 28, 2018

This is for "dVerse Poetics - Magic of Ordinary Things"  I was too late in linking with this to post my poem but others have nice poems at the link for this challenge.

I did link with "dVerse Open Link Night #234"

10 comments:

Frank Hubeny said...

There's much to be grateful for in such an ordinary with the seagulls riding the ocean's breeze.

robkistner said...

That is a beautiful poem, gentle, honest and grateful... wounderful Margaret...

Rommy said...

I was soothed by the sounds and sights you described here. It is no small thing when someone's ordinary is infused with so much beauty.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Your ordinary is breathtaking and a blessing. Eloquent write!💞

annell4 said...

Yes, it is the ordinary in life, and our own awareness, that sets each day apart.

Grace said...

To see those wonderful creatures in V formation is a marvelous experience. An ordinary and special moment to inhale and keep.

Thank you Margaret for a wonderful share. Wishing you and your family a Happy Holiday.

brudberg said...

To have an ordinary besides the sea is stunning... My ordinary is blessed with woods, but I do miss the surf...

Gina said...

thanking God for my ordinary, that speaks so loud and says so much, thank you for writing the prompt Margaret, I am slow to visit all links and so so very happy that I am reading this now, I feel your poem read like a beautiful prayer.

Lona Gynt said...

Elemental forces wend gently, but with certainty into the spirit of this poem: air, waters, earth all combine to show how magical the accretion of ordinary things can be. I especially felt the quiet joy that comes from leaving an imprint in the soft sand in these lovely lines:

“sink footprints into chilled sand,
tide fills them up,
makes them disappear;
a wonder of which I never tire.”

Repetitive waves, identical grains of sands, footsteps that come and go, a deadly mouser purring in a giant lap. (Had to add a mouse perspective just to shake it up hehe)
This is extraordinary.

Lona Gynt said...

Oh, we both felt a touch of sand this OLN, I guess it really does get everywhere 🙂