Sunday, November 25, 2018

Self-Worth



Self Worth

Milkweed pods have long since burst,
a few stand tall amidst swaying beach grass
and wind-rippled dunes,
beneath a roiling sky that dares I face
her cold-air flurry.

Hopefully she admired my arm raised high
clutching scarf side-winding in her gale,
my jacket open, whipping about,
smiled as I leaned into a force
far stronger than me.

Inside my car, the beach seems calm,
wind a murmur, the sky a painting,
but my eyes seek rearview mirror,
remember the battle, the only witness
to cheeks still chilled and crimson,

still alive with defiance.

by Margaret Bednar, November 25, 2018

This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Weekend Mini Challenge - And the days are not full enough"   Seize the day in other words.

Attended my Father-in-Laws funeral this past week and I walked the Lake Michigan beach he dearly loved to walk at sunset.  I walked it late afternoon and "accepted" the mood of the lake.   Makes one reflect on life - what is important, what we can do, what we can't let pass by... How we might handle challenges moving forward....  I hope this poem expresses some of that feeling.

9 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

Acceptance comes to us in many forms.. the forces of nature remind one of one's place in everything.. a mere part of a far greater whole.

Kim M. Russell said...

You’ve set the scene so beautifully, Margaret, with the remaining milkweed pods, the beach grass, the wind-rippled dunes, and the sky with ‘her cold-air flurry’. I can imagine you standing on an empty beach with your scarf side-winding in the gale. I love the defiance!

brudberg said...

The contrast of just seeing the beach and the sense of facing the wind is a wonderful contrast... I think doing this... facing the gale makes us feel alive...

Sherry Blue Sky said...

So sorry about your father-in-law, Margaret. You have definitely captured the mood of the lake. What a beautiful spot! It is good to take a reflective walk, at such a time.

tonispencer said...

I am sorry to hear about your Father-in-law. Walking by this huge lake humbles us and yet, encourages our defiance. I love that you walk into the wind and not away from it.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I love the progression of the poem, and the defiant assertion of life. Acceptance but not surrender.

Jim said...

I too am sorry, Margaret, for your loss. I does help remembering and gaining an insight as to the makeup of those ones close who have passed. Besides visiting with my sister and a couple of cousins, visiting old haunts is about the only reason I have for Midwest visits.
..

Sanaa Rizvi said...

I am so sorry for your loss, Margaret. This is a beautiful poem. You have certainly captured the mood of the lake here.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Death is seems to be very effective at reminding us of the importance of life.

May your father-in-law's soul rest in peace.