Saturday, November 17, 2018

Saying Goodbye

123rf

Saying Goodbye

I've learned how  to cry
after fifty-three years,
to find hope in the catch of my throat.

Used to rein them in,
deny them due course;
today

embrace as purification.

Love swells, expands,
with time bubbles into laughter
and stories reminisced,

occasional tear traces curve of cheek
which with fingertip
I collect

and press to my lips.

by Margaret Bednar, November 17, 2018

Rest in Peace, Grandpa Bednar.  My father-in-law passed away early this morning - on the same day his beloved mother died.  I like to think she was calling her dear son home.

Here is a place I could easily ponder hope and replenish my soul:

10 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I'm so sorry, Margaret. I was strong and stoic for decades and did not cry many tears that i should have cried. I have made up for it in later years. I cry so easily now. A beautiful poem. I love your description of tears as purification. You will be sharing many stories, these next few days.

Old Egg said...

What a beautiful tribute Margaret. I think crying is a good way to say goodbye.

Anmol (HA) said...

Oh, those tears heal — they mark the lives with the myriad emotions and feelings that we share with each other. I am touched by the gentle, soothing tone and the ensuing reflection in this piece. Also, the place where you go to replenish yourself is so beautiful.
I am so sorry for your loss. Wish you and your loved ones comfort and peace at this time.

Kim M. Russell said...

I am so sorry for your loss, Margaret. Crying is the best release, reining tears in just prolongs the pain.Better that
'Love swells, expands,
with time bubbles into laughter
and stories reminisced'.

brudberg said...

So sorry for the loss... then i can also feel how sorrow brings us all together, and maybe crying together is the best way to heal.

Vivian Zems said...

My condolences Magaret, it's so sad saying that final goodbye. thank you for sharing this.

Linda Lee Lyberg said...

So sorry for your loss. Your words are beautiful.

Susie Clevenger said...

I'm so sorry Margaret. I rarely hold back tears. For me they bring body and soul together to grieve, to bring release, to open a door for healing.

Jim said...

A really nice person, friend, and relative lost deserves tears. I contribute myself for some. You are fortunate to have had him so long. My first, a wonderful man, was out of my sight forever after my first wife's divorce. That was 13 years, I get zero for my second 45 years because Mrs. Jim's father died when she was seven.
I do hope you had a nice birthday though, between and amongst those tears.
..

Millie said...

This is a beautiful tribute. My condolences to you and your family.
Teresa (Razzamadazzle)