Thursday, November 29, 2018

Evanesce


Evanesce

Tidal treasures for which I search elude me, no colorful glass, no smoothed stones, everything's cloaked in gray.  Today the tidewrack offers small piles of driftwood and debris; white and gray seagull feathers, bits of rope, possibly a cat's skull, eye sockets portals in which my fascination lingers; think of my Father-in-Law's open casket, of words I'd like to say.  His casket was gray, his silver hair gently combed, his face unlined, rested as if sleeping, treasured rosary and worn prayer cards clasped in folded hands, his gray suit-front crisp as I laid my hand upon his chest.  The chill of the wind brings me back, spy a red button in the sand, remember the array of beautiful red roses atop his coffin, know they too will join this season's fade to gray.



I wish for one more
"I love you" but seasons change
and red fades to gray.

by Margaret Bednar, November 29, 2018



This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Toni's Challenge - Mono no Aware" write about change, loss, not full blown depression but a subtle, wistful sadness.  150 words or less and in the Haibun format (which includes a Haiku at the end)


Evanesce - to disappear gradually, vanish, fade away.

17 comments:

Marion said...

Beautiful, bittersweet & wistful! Perfect! xo

Helen said...

Margaret, you captured that feeling of loss and change perfectly. I would love to hear you read it ....

tonispencer said...

This is perfect, sadly beautiful. I love your descriptions of things in the sand, the greyness of your father-in-law. The haiku is perfection

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Margaret, this is beautiful. I love how the beach treasures took you to your father-in-law's passing, back and forth. Wonderfully done.

tonispencer said...

I am sorry for your loss Margaret. thank you for posting to my prompt.

Fireblossom said...

Nice use of the colors here, M.

My sympathies on your loss.

Jenna said...

Thank you for sharing. I love the use of red and gray, how the button evokes the roses.

KB said...

Beautiful. There are never enough love yous

Jim said...

What is found is what memories will have as cues. This is so sweet a tribute to a gentle man.
..

Kerry O'Connor said...

Such a profound mixing of the elements, Margaret. I was right there with you - so much so, I was brought to tears.

Marian said...

Yes, wow-- I too would like to hear you read this.

Ron. said...

Haibunaliscious. BLAMMO good. Salute!

Laura Bloomsbury said...

You nailed it with this one Margaret - peppered every line with wistfulness. I love how the tideline debris brought back the memories from the prayer cards in folded hands to the grey suit. The laying of your hand followed by the cold wind not to mention the red button/roses association. Just so beautiful!

Yvonne Osborne said...

A similar memory, not so long ago. It's very hard to write eloquently as you have done about loss such as this.

Millie said...

This is a beautiful and touching tribute. -Teresa

purplepeninportland.com said...

A bittersweet tone, wistful, and lovely. The haiku is oustading.

brudberg said...

So much expressed into the color grey... and I'm so sorry for your loss