Friday, June 8, 2018

Haibun - Beech Mountain's Oz



I can't decide which I like best, dappled sunlight upon yellow bricks flirting with bright red poppies or refreshing raindrops gently dripping from the canopy of trees that line our way to Oz.  We aren't in Kansas but high atop Beech Mountain with roads that rival the path I'm on, twisting, hugging pendulous terrain.  It's the land of Subaru, not munchkins, land of hardy shoe, not ruby red slippers.  Yet, it's as if all the bluster from the West lost its adrenaline, dropped Aunt Em's house in North Carolina where Over the Rainbow's sung on the front lawn, old tractor and front porch set the scene, bicycle and basket lean against split rail fence; even grey clouds hover above.  The door to the house is open, golden yellow and minty greens recently washed clean glow as if in full technicolor; bird-song trickles from tree branches, children's excited voices lull as familiar music cues and Dorothy steps from the corner of the big red barn with blue-gingham dress, braids and a song inviting us to believe.

Raindrops tap windowpane,
refresh red poppies,
revive old heart-felt tales.

By Margaret Bednar, June 8, 2018



Haibun (prose followed up with a Haiku)  This is not a traditional 5-7-5 haiku but it does have a 17 syllable count.

My youngest daughter is one of the Dorothys at Beech Mountain's "Oz" days on Friday's through June.  I will be able to take the tour at the end of June and I hope to video tape her singing Somewhere Over the Rainbow.  If I'm lucky enough to be allowed, I will share it here.

This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Toni's Challenge - Fifty Shades of Rain"  I hope my setting part of the scene with "kisame" (rain that drips from tree branches) fits the challenge.


9 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

From that colourful yellow path, through the poem, to photo and notes below, this was such a pleasure to read and enjoy, Margaret.

Kerry O'Connor said...

I like the way you end your piece with the refreshing drops of rain on the windowpane.

brudberg said...

What a wonderful place to be in... I like the land of boots more than that of slippers too... great way to end with the rain in the haiku.

Jenna said...

I love the description in your first sentence!

Helen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Helen said...

Sorry, typing on a mini screen with arthritic fingers is a pain! What I tried to convey ~ a lovely scene created with your words and cannot wait for the live performance of Dorothy.

tonispencer said...

My comment disappeared! I like this, especially the drops of rain on the window pane.

Jim said...

Margaret, I am glad for.your daughter being a Dorothy. And for you. Your lovely "Southern" Haibun was the perfect setting for your newsdrop.
..

Brendan said...

The patina of this tourist attraction is a tad glossy but there's wonder enough to make the reader remember and smile.