Wednesday, September 17, 2014

"Pokemon"


Pokemon

It's about strategy,
this training for battle;
of knowing one's weakness

one's resistance, of retreats and
tactics behind eyes bright with ardor

for water, fire, grass,
art painted on every card,
soft pocket monsters tenderly held

whose theme song
inspires a rallying cry

for unifying hearts,
building an alliance,
capturing destiny.

It's about six year old warriors
playing the game.


by Margaret Bednar, September 17, 2014


This is for "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Get Listed - The Art of War",  I used nine of the words - two I slightly altered.

I've been hearing the Pokemon theme song now for 19 years.  I DO know how to play this complicated card game - how many mom's can say that?

One thing I like about Pokemon is they don't kill each other.  And they are rather cute.

12 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love the mental image of those six year old warriors!

Audrey Howitt aka Divalounger said...

So very true Margaret--I can hear the rallying cry!

Anonymous said...

My boys never got too interested in those card games. They did one of them for a while, I forget which. Now they're into Skyrim etc. Teenagers.

Your sweet pen reminds me they once were little, too, though. Thanks for adding your voice ~

Grandmother Mary said...

Like war only no killing and cute- sounds like a good idea.

hedgewitch said...

My son was into Dungeons and Dragons, also a very complex game ruled by guile, strategy and pure random chance--those eight-sided dice! I learned somewhat rudimentarily how to play, but I applaud your energy and acumen, and I also like the simplicity you bring to the discussion of aggression and competition, war one step removed into play.

Kerry O'Connor said...

My almost 21 year old still loves Pokemon, though she watched the series rather than played the game.

Maude Lynn said...

I can play, too! Gotta catch 'em all!

Lisa Gordon said...

I know how to play!!
Really like this one, Margaret, and thank you for the memories. I'd long since forgotten about Pokemon. :-)

Susie Clevenger said...

I know nothing about Pokemon, but it sounds like a delightful game from reading this.

Magaly Guerrero said...

I must share this with a friend, who is a warrior with her children when it comes to Pokémon. I think those of us who enjoy the art (and war) of raising children experience all kinds of battlefields (around these parts, we explore Minecraft, Star Wars, LEGOS and pretty much anything you can think off).

We shall battle on... and watch them take on other fields... and hope the always let us go along with them.

Scarlet said...

I am not familiar with the game too as my daughter has her own games ~ But I like the thought of 6 year old warriors playing the game ~

Anonymous said...

I'm quite glad you chose a happier them for my admittedly dark prompt, Margaret. Those days are long gone for my teen boys ~