Monday, September 22, 2014

"Lantana"


Lantana

What good will it do to offer September
miniature nosegays kissed with morning's dew,

beg her hold at bay Autumn's chilly hand?

No.  She'll caress with biting breath
all the pretty colors.  Offer one last dance.

I've learned to be a wall-flower come Winter,
guard happy thoughts.

No matter how pious, grayness finds me
spiraling Lantana's roots

questioning once again if Spring will set me free.


by Margaret Bednar, September 21, 2014

This is for "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Swedish poetry and Karin Boye"

This is a response to my reading the poetry of Karin Boye - a Swedish poet.  HERE are some of her translated poems.  I found much of her poetry sad and depressing in a beautiful way - she wove nature into her poetry, as well as rhythm and rhyme (which I did not do). If you want to learn more about her follow the above link.

This was a hard poem for me to write as I don't often write with so much despair…  I do know some people who can't abide the grayness of winter and get depressed if they are surrounded by the color gray.  (I love gray as a neutral color - it soothes me - mix it with creams and a touch of green or blue…HERE is a room I think is cool - it just needs a bookcase)  Which is funny, because I currently have a lot of red in my bedroom and traditional furniture - which is completely opposite this room.

Where I live in North Carolina, Lantana blooms in summer and fall and if we remain frost free, it should act as a perennial.

Note:  nosegay - (or posy) is a small flower bouquet.

19 comments:

Jim said...

I like it, Margaret. A sense of mixed feelings, hopelessness alternating with optimism.

There seemed to be advantages to being a wall flower, at times I was. That happened when a person wasn't with a group who had a table. Sit around the room, watching those dancing and talking to the ones who were not.

Life of a wallflower. (Really there was more, some really nice times with other wallflowers, especially after the dancing is over.)
..

Grandmother Mary said...

I think you captured her spirit well in this thoughtful poem. You also show how seasons and nature affect our mood. I didn't know of this lovely flower before.

Sumana Roy said...

"She'll caress with biting breath
all the pretty colors. Offer one last dance"..inspiring and beautiful lines..

Sumana Roy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vandana Sharma said...

This is beautifully woven with various emotions that are represented by Lantana and our self.

brudberg said...

I must say you caught the mood of Karin's poetry very well, the use of Nature's images, the walk into grayness that I feel myself when the last of autumn's bloom are bursting and fading into grey... I find the autumn colors both soothing and depressing at the same time.. it's a balance really.

Marcoantonio Arellano (Nene) said...

although, grey is interspersed, it does come across as neutral and soft. it has a touch of spring breath before it hibernates for the winter.

lovely, mi amiga

gracias

Fireblossom said...

I like gray, too. Gray cats, gray leggings, a gray hair or two. Works for me!

seasideauthor (Sharon Rose Thomas.) said...

Not a wallflower at all with your big family. Your use of gray was very descriptive to set the mood tugging as I read through resisting with Lantana's bright cheerfulness. Nicely done! If you every get caught up I am here http://seasideauthor.blogspot.com/2014/09/murder-thought-we-wed-in-response-to.html

TexWisGirl said...

i love how lantana (one of the few things i manage to keep alive here) comes back for one last blast in fall after a dreadfully hot and dry summer.

Kerry O'Connor said...

A miniature nosegay is the perfect description of the lantana bloom. I especially like the way you brought a personal interpretation to season's change.

Maude Lynn said...

"I've learned to be a wall-flower come Winter"

I LOVE that.

Carrie Van Horn said...

I love the life that you have given the season here Margaret....somber yet truly beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

for someone that doesn't speak native forlorn, you do a damn fine interpretation ~

Anonymous said...

Agree with M--you manage forlorn very well! And this really does capture some of the tone of Karin's poems. I've grown to rather like winter since I've gotten more involves with x-country skiing! k .

Lisa Gordon said...

A truly beautiful poem, for this beautiful image, Margaret. Our Lantana is pretty much history now, but I so love it during the summer when it is in bloom

I hope you've had a wonderful day!

Vagabonde said...

I did not know the name of these flowers – I see them often around here. I like the emotions in your poem.
As for grey – in France, with navy, it is a color everyone wears. I like what is called “gris anthracite” – it is the color of grey flannel trousers or blazers worn a lot in Europe. Here, it is not that easy to find clothing in that shade.

Unknown said...

The wisdom earned, knowledge gained sing through the despair, here, Margaret. Nicely done.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Some days we need a bit of "sad and depressing in a beautiful way..." And your example is weaved with your natural positivity, methinks.