Sunday, April 13, 2014

"A Crossroad"

by Chelsea Bednar from her high school sketch book
A Crossroad

So dainty, so pastel fresh
these newly sprouting buds
stretch toward the light.
No thinking involved,
no decisions to make.
Spring doesn't require it.

There are times I wish
I could turn to Mother
like I used to,
have her comb my hair,
sing me a song, read
my favorite story,

tell me everything
will be all right.  If only
I could turn back time
to the way things
used to be.  But just
for one night -

before she hands me
the dreaded list of
Saturday morning chores.

by Margaret Bednar, April 13, 2014


Linked with "Imaginary Garden of Real Toads - Routines" with Grace.   This poem is a bit more wishful thinking on my part, I'm sure as my oldest daughter is probably having way too much fun in college to really wish for the old routine - but I do.

This poem is for her - with a little bit of sweetness, a little bit of sass (just like her).


For the month of April, I am participating in NaPoWriMo2014 or National Poetry Writing Month.  The website is HERE.

In celebration of this year's challenge, I will be giving away a free book of my poetry.  If you are interested in participating in this drawing, please click the red logo at the top of my side bar and leave your name and a means to reach (blog, email, etc) you in the comment section.

PLEASE INDICATE YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN THE DRAWING OR I WILL ASSUME YOU ARE JUST COMMENTING.  THANKS. 


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hah! I'm thinking your 6 have had their own list of chores, too ~

Sumana Roy said...

'tell me everything
will be all right.'...we all long for these few words from ma i think...sweet..and aww...a sassy close indeed...:D

TexWisGirl said...

ha ha. what a great drawing!

Kerry O'Connor said...

I just had a moment of synchronicity, Margaret, because my daughters came home from university yesterday, and while they were hanging out in my room jabbering away, I asked my youngest if I could brush her hair. (She graciously agreed.)

Suffice it to say, I know where this is coming from.

Grace said...

I wish I could put back the time too Margaret, the children grow up so fast ~ I adore the whimsical thought, before the reality of household chores set in ~ Lovely drawing too ~ Happy week ~

Anonymous said...

Ha! Very charming! k .

Ginnie Hart said...

What a lovely in-between place and thought, Margaret. I'm sure it goes both ways!