Saturday, April 12, 2014

"Cheer Up, Moon"


"Cheer Up, Moon"

The sun smiles
and all is fine,
flowers grow
and vines do twine,
bloom with color,
radiant and bright.

Yet moon is sad.
All's not fair
as shadows grow
beneath his care.
Yet, one night shines
with all his might

each month a dream!
Midsummer nights
bring forth water sprites,
Autumn; harvest lights.
Each season, each moon,
a special sign.

So cheer up, Moon,
lift that chin,
sliver a smile,
or beam full on.
Await we, your nightly gift
of neatly keeping time.

by Margaret Bednar, April 12, 2014

This is for my challenge over at "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - A Child's Verse"


For the month of April, I am participating in NaPoWriMo2014 or National Poetry Writing Month.  The website is HERE.

In celebration of this year's challenge, I will be giving away a free book of my poetry.  If you are interested in participating in this drawing, please click the red logo at the top of my side bar and leave your name and a means to reach (blog, email, etc) you in the comment section.

PLEASE INDICATE YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN THE DRAWING OR I WILL ASSUME YOU ARE JUST COMMENTING.  THANKS. 


14 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

The moon does keep time for us, doesn't it? I like the way you have highlighted special moons and its course through the seasons.

Sumana Roy said...

love this neat story of the sun and
the sad moon...and one mighty moon dream.....beautiful

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Love the idea of telling the moon to cheer up!!!!

Anonymous said...

Very sweet poem, and very like a child to wish to cheer someone--even the moon--up. Thanks, Margaret. K.

Grace said...

I love the moon poem ~ He will surely have his time, full beam on ~ Cheer up moon, smiles ~

humbird said...

Love the feeling of fairness in the poem as most kids are very sensitive to it.

C.C. said...

This is beautiful. And, I also LOVE the photo you have as your blog header. It evokes so much emotion.

Susie Clevenger said...

I love poems about the moon..this one written for a child is delightful.

Hannah said...

"sliver a smile,"

My favorite tid-bit of your wonderful poem, Margaret! Thank you for the inspiration today!

Wolfsrosebud said...

now I can see this in a kid's book... nicely done

hedgewitch said...

This works equally well as children's or adults' fare, Margaret, which of course is the way all good children's literature goes. Thanks so much for this fun prompt--it was devilishly hard for me, but in the end I had fun with it.

Fireblossom said...

Omg, she's so MOODY, and above-it-all. Sometimes she's all like, "Ta da! Here I am!!!" and then two weeks later she's all "meh, whatever." I totes don't get her.

(but i loved the idea of telling the moon to cheer up)!

Vagabonde said...

This is a lovely poem – you have such facility with creative writing – every time I come to your blog I always enjoy reading your verses and looking at your photographs. The heading photograph is a great one by the way, the child with the colorful beach towel really comes out against the neutral background.

Anonymous said...

smiles :) ~