Tuesday, April 23, 2013

IGWRT's Shakespeare - "Lines of You"


Lines of You
by William Bednar

I wish that I could formulate the phrase
To find a foothold in your foreign trust
Or pick the perfect rhythm for my praise
To dance into your ear, 'ere we turn dust.
I must admit, I'm taken by your eyes
That seem to wander lonely on the air
And in their solitude sow my demise
And show 'tis false that games of love are fair.
But quite betrayed by silence on my part
My eye for you seems fated to be lost
In barren lines disguised well as art
That turn upon the air like timid frost.
   So maybe 'fore we find our bodies dead
   You'll learn of me in lines of you, you read.

The challenge at Imaginary Garden with Real Toads is A Birthday in April - Shakespeare.  I knew where to go for today's post:  to my son's Facebook page and select from his many, many poems in Notes (of course, I love them all and had a hard time deciding).

My photo which I took at Middleton Place in Charleston, SC, goes well with my son's poem, I think.   The lines, solitude, a slight sense of loneliness (do you see the red head young lady on the bench in the distance?

I also linked this with dVerse Open Link Night #93, hosted tonight by Brian Miller who is also an amazing poet. 

22 comments:

Susan said...

Bravo to William for this very Shakespearean Love Sonnet! Proud Mom! Will he visit here to see the comments? If so, I will write more to him. I agree about the Photo, though I look for one sign of the man who gazes silenced--perhaps a shadow? Wait! Perhaps he is standing on a little peninsula across the lake.

Helen said...

Please tell Sir William his sonnet brought tears to my eyes. I know how proud you are .........

Margaret said...

Susan - I'm pretty sure he will (I sent you his email) Yes, Helen, I am mighty proud and he is the one who started me on my road to liking (loving) poetry.

Scarlet said...

Your son is very talented and his words are perfect with our picture ~ My son also started me on poetry writing and blogging but he has stopped writing now. He is into other things ~

Tell your son this is a gem to read.

Have a lovely week ~

Brian Miller said...

smiles...so wonderful to see your sons words...and he has def become a rather accomplished poet...really beautiful...excellent closure on this as well...rich with feeling...

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Margaret, your son's sonnet rivals the Bard's himself....I especially love the closing lines. He is so talented. I'll bet if he dropped this sonnet on the fair maid's desk, she would turn a smile his way! Tell him I said so!

Susie Clevenger said...

Such a gift your son has. This is beautiful and your photo is gorgeous!

Abruvanamedsly said...

That is a vibrant photo...your son's words definitely waltz with that image...felt.

Janine Bollée said...

Any combined slim volumes in the offing?
I envy you the poetic discussions that must go on in your household between likeminded family members.

Kerry O'Connor said...

This is a perfect sonnet, in meter, content and language usage. it has all the flair of any classical piece I have read. Well done, Will B.

Mary said...

Very impressive writing by your son, Margaret!

Tawnya Smith said...

Sonnets, what sweeter form. Thank you for your visit, your working link, which led me to this poem.

Todd Alan Kraft said...

Wonderful sonnet. "My eye for you seems fated to be lost," very fine indeed.

Jennifer Wagner said...

A wonderful poem! What a talented bunch of kids you have Margaret! My oldest son writes poetry too...spoken word being his latest passion. I think it's so cool that he inspired you!

Claudia said...

william and william...so cool...love that your song writes poetry and he does well...hope that my kids start as well one day...

Anonymous said...

Few can eclipse Shakespeare and the subtleties of deeper emotions as does your son... this is a magnificent twilight of beautiful sights, both in your photography and writing dear friend ~ Debbie

Anonymous said...

Few can eclipse Shakespeare and the subtleties of deeper emotions as does your son... this is a magnificent twilight of beautiful sights, both in your photography and writing dear friend ~ Debbie

ayala said...

Tell your son this is great, love this.

Ginny Brannan said...

What a beautifully penned sonnet. I can see that the apple does not fall far from the tree! You should be so proud! I also have a son who shares many similar interests. Children are our best legacy!

Tawnya Smith said...

Ah, a good poem with an enviable ending. I really wish I'd thought of that last line.

Ginnie Hart said...

I am now suddenly in awe of how you and your children are being so artfully and creatively intertwined!

Anonymous said...

I love it when moms do things like this on their blogs. Your son's poem is beautiful! Thanks for sharing it.