Saturday, July 16, 2011

Images from the Past, Part 9 - My Grandmother's 1915 Yellowstone Journal

One of Yellowstone's Geyser's ... possibly "The Thumb".  Taken 1915
Saturday, July 3, 1915

Had about 200 dudes last night.  150 were a Texas party being taken through by Rev. Young of Texas.  They were such a jolly bunch, gave yells, songs, etc.  There were so many pretty Southern girls and our boys surely made use of the short time they were here.  The Texas crowd stayed to lunch so we have had to work all day.  The second crowd from Beloit, WI came tonight.  They had their trip before arriving here.  Yesterday, Ethel, Vera, and Phill went by boat to the "Thumb" to help serve lunch to the Texas party.

I believe this is the inside of a tent my Grandmother shared
 Had an exciting time tonight.  Just as we began eating dinner, one of the lights in the office exploded and set the tent on fire.  Drivers and all came to the rescue and cut the tent through the middle saving half of it.  Win was certainly scared.  Ruth L.  had a raincoat burn up.

Holmes Ferris, Esther Kellogg, Phill Sprague & Dorothy Dinsmore - some of my Grandmother's friends from camp.
Ethel & Joe Gibson - my Grandmother's friend's from camp
Ethel & Joe Gibson - close-up
My notes:


Sifting through the plethora of photos, I struggle with what photos go with her journal entries.  I have always loved the last photo - unusual to capture "in-the-moment" smiles like that back then.  I assume my grandmother might have known a few of the Beloit WI "gang" that came to Yellowstone as it was close to Roscoe IL - where she spent much of her early years.

This post is a participant in "Sepia Saturday's, post #83."    If you want to see my Grandmother's journal, which is a work in progress, Click "Images From the Past" .  If you do, please keep in mind the chronological order is the "beginning" is at the end (the very first entry) of the blog.

23 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

that's a great last photo - like you said, not too many spontaneous photos back then. and these two were obviously in love.

the tent on fire sounds scary!

Tattered and Lost said...

Always enjoy this little excursions to Yellowstone of yore.

Little Nell said...

The tent fire sounds exciting! I love the picture of the two young lovers, Esther and Joe.

Nancy said...

Esther Kellogg makes me think of a silent movies film star, perhaps because of pose or her eyes.... Your grandmother's tent looks very cozy though not warm for those cool MT/WY nights. I especially like the last photo, too. I am surprised that her shoes look like sneakers. Surely they weren't in 1915?! Thanks for sharing these great photos.

Postcardy said...

The striped tent looks really cozy.

Tiffany said...

What a great way to extend the life of your grandmother's journal. Just lovely!

Tiffany

Margaret said...

Nancy... the shoes, I agree. I actually wonder if they weren't dressed up for a "show"... they do look very theatrical and their was dancing and entertainment for the "dudes" - which weren't just men, but tourists/visitors to Yellowstone.

Thanks, everyone, for stopping by and commenting!

Brian Miller said...

this is so cool...to look back and relive their story...great pics...

Ruth said...

Hard to believe this is almost 100 years ago, and just as lively as if it were now. What can beat the journal entries combined with these tremendous photos? Beautifully happy people, and Ethel and Joe just knock me out! Absolutely fantastic photo. I wonder what sort of costumes they're wearing?

Rosie Grey said...

This is so wonderful, Margaret! I also love that last photo! Thanks so much for sharing these glimpses into the past!

Claudia said...

oh thanks so much for sharing this..what beautiful pictures...they breathe a living history

Alan Burnett said...

What wonderful images (and what fascinating words to go with them) That third photograph has a Hollywood feel about it, when I first glanced at it I immediately thought of Mary Pickford.

Bob Scotney said...

Tremendous photos of people having fun.

Howard said...

Wonderful photos. The last two are particularly good and seem more modern than they really are.

Christine H. said...

Wonderful. you'd almost think it was Hollywood. Homes and Esther look as if they could have been movie stars.

Lisa Gordon said...

I love these posts, and that last photograph is simply wonderful! Thank you for sharing!!

Margaret said...

Holmes and Esther... I agree - absolutely two gorgeous people... She has a Mary Pickford quality - I agree!

Bruno Laliberté said...

"...our boys surely made use of the short time they were here".

meaning what exactly?.............
;)~

the first picture looks so ominous, i love it!!
:)~
HUGZ

Margaret said...

Ticklebear... that's the beauty of 1915... it meant dancing and very light flirting, I'm sure of it. :)

Doctor FTSE said...

You are so lucky to have your grandmother's diaries. My relatives never kept diaries, except for my Mother, whose diary entries said things like "Hot today. Did washing" and "Richard (that's me!) out with THAT girl again! Silly lad." No wonder I grew up Very Silly.

Mike Brubaker said...

Terrific photos, especially the last one. I think dressed for a costume skit - a little Dutch girl and boy?

tony said...

Ethel was Beautiful.But,More Than That, She Had A Warm & Open Way With Her.A Lovely Photo.Thank You For Sharing It With Us.

Sasha A. Palmer said...

Thank you so much for this! It's such a great experience to be able to 'hear' a voice from the past, such a young, happy voice. The photos are great, and the quality of old black and white photos always amazes me. Just wonderful, thanks for sharing.