Friday, April 1, 2011

"High School Graduate", a poem, 185/365



I will be a participant in April's National Poetry Month through the website "NaPoWriMo".   Click on NaPo and find a TON of poetry websites that are participating!

I will be utilizing Kelli Russell Agodon's "Book of Kells" (blog) writing prompts to help me successfully write 30 poems in 30 days!  (If you click on the b&w "button" on my sidebar, you will also be transported to the writing prompts. 

April 1st Writing Prompt:  Grab a book.  Go to page 29.  Write down 10 words that catch your eye.  Use 7 of the words in a poem.  For "extra credit" have 4 of them appear at the end of a line. 

I grabbed an old book entitled Jack London's Stories for Boys, published in 1936.  The particular story I pulled from is entitled "Love of Life".

   Page 29 Words:  soul, bound, memories, saturating, miserable, unfamiliarity, deliberately
                                     excitement, emptying, and vague.

High School Graduate

Excitement looms, future unsure;
saturated with hopeful
unfamiliarity.

Disappointment and crippling doubt
deliberatley cast aside;
boundless zeal a young soul's guide.

Toward the horizon he races,
in pursuit of an exciting dream;
life's memories in the making.

4 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

I remember that excitement and anticipation (and fear) well...

Laura said...

amazing photo Margaret, wow!!! I love the last line.."life's memories in the making." Beautiful.

Lisa Gordon said...

This sounds like a monumental task Margaret, but I have no doubt that you will do, and do it beautifully, just like this one. I look forward to see them here.
Have a fantastic weekend!

Ginnie Hart said...

You amaze me! And I mean that sincerely. Actually, your entire family amazes me.