Sunday, January 16, 2011

One Shoot Sunday, "The First Kiss"

photo courtesy of Katherine Forbes


The First Kiss
We trembled with anticipation
As we walked along the dock.
Shyly glanced at one another,
Awkwardness multiplied.
Faced each other -
Lips puckered, 
As if experiencing
A sour lemon.
Bodies
A mountain range apart.
It finally landed
Like a butterfly
On the corner of my mouth
And swiftly fluttered
Away.
After fifty years,
We have improved.

***

by Margaret Bednar

I also posted this on my new Creative Writing blog: Art Happens in Black & White. It is also on my sidebar.  Since this reads kind of like a poem, I thought I would post it here as well.  Please visit my "Black & White" blog and see what you think.  :)  

The above is a Flash Fiction 55 for One Stop Poetry's "One Shoot Sunday".  The photographer interviewed is Katherine Forbes.  Please click on One Shoot Sunday if you would like to read other submissions for this photo prompt.  

8 comments:

Helen said...

Endearing and oh-so-sweet!!!

Margaret said...

Helen, I haven't felt this way in a very LONG time, but it was fun trying to imagine it. :)

Lisa Gordon said...

Love this one.
So sweet.

Pitterle Postings said...

Love the poem and the picture. They are both wonderful.

Mary Lou said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!

Margaret said...

Lisa, Patty Ann and Mary Lou - It was fun thinking it up. I can imagine them in my mind - an elderly couple that still hold hands as they stroll. I love that image.

Ginnie Hart said...

50 years is a lot of kissing, Margaret...especially if with the same person! :) Congratulations.

Margaret said...

Ginnie - I've only been married for 22 years. So we have over 25 more years of kissin' to do! ;P