Friday, May 6, 2022

Audrey


Audrey

A princess
may not be royal
nor bedecked in jewels.
May come from humble means,
pursue life
where grace is an acceptance
of a role, not a crown -
a heart offered
for service, not idolatry.

by Margaret Bednar, May 6, 2022

I have recently watched a documentary and read a long article on the life of Audrey Hepburn.  She truly believed beauty was from within and seemed more than happy to leave Hollywood and dedicate her life to serving others.  She was an ambassador for UNICEF and they say she would gather the children (covered in dirt and flies) into her arms and hug them.  

This is linked with "Poets and Storytellers United - Friday Writings #25". This is not a rewrite which was the suggested prompt for this week.  The mixed-media collage above is my work.  

11 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

I really love (and agree with) what your poem says about inner beauty. Worth and kindness have little to do with wealth or status, and everything to do with humanity. An embraced "role, not a crown".

Marja said...

Love it Audrey was a special woman She lived during the war in the Netherlands as het mother was a Dutch Baroness

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Audrey was indeed a beautiful woman in every way. I enjoyed her talented acting performances and admired her UNICEF role. It's good to see her inner beauty recognised in your words.

Debi Swim said...

I have long admired Audrey Hepburn and your poem speaks to her inner beauty well. She would've been pleased (I think) if she could have read your insightful tribute.

rallentanda said...

Love your artwork. I have been a fan of Audrey Hepburn since I was a kid. Have a big framed print of her in my dining room Enjoyed your poem

Rommy said...

The world could use more Audreys. But we always have the chance to make choices that make us more like her too.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Thank goodness for Audreys. I don’t want to imagine a world without kindhearted Audreys. I love your poem and your collage. TrĂ©s chic like Audrey Hepburn.

Brother Ollie said...

I'm sitting under a Breakfast at Tiffany's poster. Nice to read your piece under Audrey's gaze.

Helen said...

I continue to be so impressed with what she accomplished in her life, she is missed. Great write, Margaret.

Thotpurge said...

Like what you say about grace... hats off to those who go out and do the important things.

colleen said...

Sweet and almost under the noise/radar, like her.