Thursday, October 7, 2021

Resonance

click on image to enlarge
Resonance

You marched cheerily away, after loyalty pledged
to country, hearth, and wife.  I a blushing bride
clinging to promises made within a woodland glade
where bluebells jingled an English spring as upon knee 
you cradled my hand and won my heart.

We laughed and dreamed of a cottage house,
ivy clinging eternally to cobble and thatch...
clasp now I to memory.

The first white roses, pressed,
swirls flattened into outlines, crisp.
Find myself wanting reversal of time,
hand them back soft and full, see your slanted smile 
after a kiss, hear you whisper, "Chere".

So faded our forest, so faint St. Peter's bells,
so distant your song as another season hitch-hikes  
upon orange-tipped wings signaling spring's arrival

and with indrawn breath I'm facing
angelic wings singing not songs of grief
but joy, encouraging me to soldier on,
let past become like mountain mist,
dismissed each morn with sun embraced,

songbirds harmonizing with Blue's melody,
his solo and steadfast stare
gifting me with freedom, with life.  

by Margaret Bednar, October 7, 2021

I am not sure if this qualifies (Sherry - please let me know) for the prompt at "Earthweal Weekly Challenge - Collateral Beauty".  It's a story poem, in response to my collage (not digital but the old fashioned cut and paste).  Some of the images are from vintage magazines and music - the center image is of a white rose painted by Georgia O'Keeffe.  The above image will be the centerfold for an art journal with drawing and watercolor paper.  I will be sewing the signatures in and have yet to make the cover which I think I will fashion from gorgeous wallpaper (I have many wallpaper books).  This poem will be included in the journal.

note:  the art above will change a bit as I am waiting for an order of graphite blocks to arrive which I will then trace and smudge around a few images so they stand out a little bit. 

4 comments:

Truedessa said...

This is a lovely story poem about collateral beauty. Love the collage and found your notes interesting regarding it.

Myrna R. said...

You impress me so much with your art. I love the collage and the poem is so lovely. I can sense your passion for art in your plans. Wish I would take more time to do the things I like to do.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Margaret, this was an absolute treat to read and envision....so much romance, beauty, love. Your imagery is wonderful. Collateral beauty in every line. I love your collage also. I am so glad you shared this lovely post at earthweal. Yay!

Ingrid said...

A beautifully romantic poem full of yearning nostalgia!