Sunday, April 18, 2021

Grandmother

 

123rf

Grandmother

Grandmother hovered
above childrens' play-set,
Ancient Wild Cherry tree
bent and a bit wobbly on her feet;
offered shade in the summer 
and arms to climb and nestle,
ponder secrets she held
within her countenance.

Crab Apple and Old Willow
joined our gossip on many a fine day,
but were much younger;
Willow's golden catkins 
and Apple's flushed pink florets
delighted us through spring and summer,

but it was Grandmother Cherry
who regaled us all with stories
she was willing to share. 
Songbirds entertained
as we picnicked beneath her boughs,
feasted on PB&J, our little musicians
on sweet and sour apples and berries
dangling above our heads.

And yet, as all living things 
face Destiny, it took a powerful storm
to prostrate her upon our lawn, 
leaves a halo about her head;
miraculously missed the play-set
directly in her path.  

I still marvel, 
yet should have known,
she'd bring no harm or disappointment
to those she loved.

by Margaret Bednar, April 18, 2021


We had a huge wild cherry in our backyard when the first three children were little - I was surprised it was a cherry tree as I thought they were all smaller - this one was supposedly over 100 years old and very tall and wide.  The tree experts insisted it was a wild cherry - who knew.  Anyway, one morning looking out my bedroom window the view was certainly different with the tree felled by powerful tornado-like winds.   She was rotten in the middle and it scared me to think it could have fallen anytime - but somehow she stood - I guess she was stubborn :)  And by all means, she should have fallen right on the swing-set and play area, but didn't.  

I am almost recovered from my hysterectomy operation.   I had a small infection at the top of my incision which slowed me down for a few days.  A few more weeks and I will be as good as new.  

8 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

Those who loves us (and whom we love) tend to find a way to keep us safe. The universe is giving like that, especially when we acknowledge the gift... and give back.

I'm very happy you are healing!

indybev said...

Lovely story about the old cherry tree. What a loss!

Rommy said...

I love that the cherry tree was able to do one last kindness to your family. Best wishes for a speedy healing!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Some of my most wonderful relationships have been with trees. Loved this story! Sending good wishes for your speedy recovery.

Helen said...

A stunning poem, Margaret...tugs at the heartstrings♥️ Good to know recovery is progressing.

J Cosmo Newbery said...

I thought that I would never see
A poem 'bout a cherry tree. (Apologies to Mr Kilmer).

I was wrong.

dsnake1 said...

and even when she fell, she would not harm anyone she knew. what a lovely poem!

Hazel said...

A beautiful tree poem with words that warm the heart. Trees are great blessings.