Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Faith of a Child

My New Poetic Challenge I host - please join in!  Artistic Interpretations
Faith of a Child

Sanctuary is the smell of lilies, incense
lifting me bodily into ornate ivory,
intricate Stations of the Cross -
a guilty pleasure as a child,
(and sometimes, I admit, to this day)
diversion from homily, from prayer -

Myself in each scene: sitting beside Mary, my hand
touching Jesus' linens, John's compassion evident
in his tears, thankful for carved alabaster (no blood-red).

Perhaps I'm wrong.  Perhaps it was an intimacy,
a vision, a message to ponder,
a conversation between God and me -
a seed nourishing the narrow path,
providing safe harbor when life strikes,
threatens to rock the boat, rip my sails -

Pray my vision's a bit cunning; no need to see Jesus
walk on water.  Trust in the power of the parables
and lilies placed in a vase, reminding me

of childlike wonder residing in my breast.

by Margaret Bednar, April 8, 2020

I invite you to listen to me read my poem:  



This is linked with my NEW CHALLENGE I HOST:  "Artistic Interpretations #3 Moonlight Sailing"  All are welcome.

Also linked with "Poets and Storytellers United - Weekly Scribblings #14 - Let's use Pathetic Fallacy, shall we?"  I used it really just in the first stanza... I think.  Hope this qualifies to link to the challenge.

Also linked with Sky Lover Poetry's word list  #skyloverwordlist (Instagram) for the month of April.  I used about 12 words. 


12 comments:

Marja said...

I especially love "Sanctuary is the smell of lilies, incense
lifting me bodily into ornate ivory"

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is absolutely gorgeous writing, Margaret!💝 I especially love; "Sanctuary is the smell of lilies, incense lifting me bodily into ornate ivory," perfect rendition of Pathetic Fallacy and the gentle contemplation in;

"Perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps it was an intimacy,
a vision, a message to ponder,
a conversation between God and me -
a seed nourishing the narrow path,
providing safe harbor when life strikes,
threatens to rock the boat, rip my sails."

This poem is a thing of beauty and awe, you have more than met the challenge! Thank you so much for writing!🥰👏👏

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Your poem took me back to my teens, when I found sanctuary in church every morning before school. Got me through those difficult years. I loved the incense, the Latin, the feeling of sacredness.

Jim said...

And did Perer meet you at the gate? I've always wondered. I don't telk St Peter jokes because for sure he doesn't make the decision, in or out.
..

Joel (@Stranded Tree) said...

The Power of Parables. Telling stories to teach us all. Thank you, Margaret for a reminder of this power.

Kerry O'Connor said...

How good it must be to have this abiding, child-like faith. I fondly remember the pictures in my children's bible and can imagine the scenes you describe.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

A beautiful thing, childlike wonder!

Helen said...

As a child in the Methodist Church I missed out on the pageantry and mystery you did. I think it's why as an adult I never got enough of Mass .. in Latin.

Vivian Zems said...

Intimate moments such as these are essential for when the storms come. You put it so well.

Jenna said...

Beautiful, from the first line.

Jennifer Wagner said...

This is lovely. Hope you and yours are well, Margaret~

Vagabonde said...

Beautiful poem! I love the way you write, it is like a melody. I can’t talk about the meaning though, as I am a Buddhist (have been all my life.) Thanks for coming back to my blog.