Monday, March 30, 2020

The Dance


The Dance

Dusk is put to bed
with raven's wings soaring above,
pulling night's curtain
toward the northern star.

My Victoria roses
no longer hold court,
no songbirds serenade,

but I hear quiet yelp of fox
playing beneath vineyard and vine,
flashes of red, moonlit.

It's a beauty that rivals
the sunflowers and blue iris
sprinkled within field midday
when my breath will catch,

but now I'm caught up
in the wildness, 
heart fluttering, skipping,
wishing I could join the dance.

by Margaret Bednar, January 16, 2012

This is linked to "The Sunday Muse #90"

also linked with Poets and Storytellers United - Writers' Pantry #13

My 12 year old son wrote to this image as well:  HERE

6 comments:

Sumana Roy said...

"but now I'm caught up
in the wildness, " ---What a wonderful space to be in! Love the cheery tone.

Carrie Van Horn said...

I love the beauty in this Margaret! I also loved Spencer's as well, and did comment there. He is talented like his Mom. It is always a pleasure to read the words of young poets.

Fireblossom said...

I like this very much, Margaret. It makes me want to stand there and take in that feeling.

Thanks for letting me know that Spencer had written for this, too. I would have missed it otherwise.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Oh, that's lovely! The images, the emotions, all of it.

Marja said...

Love this poem with so many beautiful images

Sanaa Rizvi said...

You had me at the opening lines! This is gorgeous 💝💝