Monday, December 16, 2019

Persuasion

123rf
Persuasion

I'm listening to the Boss sing Western Stars,
find I like this older version better than the youth.

Pour myself a whisky, kick off my stilettos
(Kahlua and slippers, who am I kidding, but it sounds sexier this way)

his raspy voice more weathered, more mellow,
carries experience if not wisdom.

Raise my glass, give thanks to John Wayne and the like,
when a man's man was acceptable, (probably not hip to admit)

close my eyes, feel myself believing
western stars might shine brighter;

trace my fingers along a map, tempted to replace slippers
with traveling boots, let myself drift a bit on the open road,

66 to San Francisco, swing 'round through Yellowstone.
Don't need the lonely, biker bars, roadside motel (not my style)

but old towns, roads less traveled, sundowns in places remote?
Finish off my "whiskey", lean back against the pillows

find myself humming his tune.

by Margaret Bednar, December 16, 2019

HERE is a video and Bruce Springsteen's song "Western Stars"  I enjoyed this interview a lot.  And I really am contemplating such a trip this summer.


This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Music with Marian - Western Stars"

8 comments:

Old Egg said...

I loved it, dreaming of unobtainable desires but being honest enought to tell the truth.

Marian said...

So great, go ahead and do it, Margaret!
I hope you'll listen to entire album or better yet, watch the concert film (they play the album beginning to end with lots of visuals and wisdom in between the songs).
The last song is about a roadside motel... sooooo wistful.
I liked reading this, your voice in this. Slippers or stilettos! :)

Helen said...

My oh my! No way to express how much I love this ~~ I sank into your words, the images you presented, the ambiance. And, by the way, stilettos are YOU.

brudberg said...

I do love to travel as well... there are so much things to see out in the countryside (here I tend to go North instead) but whenever you leave the cities behind you will see so much

Sherry Blue Sky said...

So much fun to read! Love the slipper-stilettos, lol. That road trip sounds pretty cool.I remember road trips in the US and those old taverns in out of the way places.

Kerry O'Connor said...

I like the couplets - your phrasing is very well done to create the flow of ideas.

Yvonne Osborne said...

I love the Boss. It sounds like a road trip is in the offing and whiskey is sexier than Kahlua and nothing wrong with a man's man...

Ron. said...

Intoxicating.