Saturday, November 9, 2019

Preparations


Preparations

A few weeks ago deer gathered beneath the apple trees, meadowland and mountains a security of sorts, although coyote (and ever rumored mountain lion) must have been aware of their presence.  Early one morning a late birthed fawn darted about, no adult in sight.  I slowed the car, pondered what to do; startled it more, and my heart grieved.  Sweetness lured them, juicy ripe, bordered on rotten; can't imagine amount of sugar consumed.

The wild orchard is vacant now, temptation played its part, trees less weighted, resplendent for a stint in temporary burnished glory.  Now that's gone too; first frost has lashed her icy tongue and deer slip out of woodland earlier; perhaps for breeding, but consuming as much green as possible.  I wrap my shawl closer, walk the dogs, their awareness of danger or hardship almost non-existent; wolf-like instincts dormant as they beg the cats to befriend them.  Fireside has yet to be shared.

A fine line exists between wild and domestic.  How long would it take for survival and instinct to kick in, or would my puppies be like the fawn, startled out of safety, nature taking its course?  How would I fare if grocery store vanished, if I had to can apples and store food for winter?

Apples over-ripe
a last desperate banquet
before winter's fast.

by Margaret Bednar, November 9, 2019

This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Just One Word - Burnished"





12 comments:

Helen said...

One word. Magnificent.

Kim M. Russell said...

There have been similar preparations going on in our garden, Margaret, with visits from various wildlife – I’ve been watching closely. We’ve also been making preparations, inside, sorting out logs for the stove and cleaning up after the builders, who still haven’t quite finished. I would have liked to be ready for the cold snap, but there was already frost this morning! Our local store disappeared some years ago and the bus service is barely existent, so my husband drives into the nearest market town once a week for a big shop, which he tops up when necessary. When I was younger and living in the wilds of Ireland, I had a garden for most of the things we needed, and we swapped produce with friends. I wish I could do that now.

brudberg said...

I think we need to learn a bit to prepare... and I do, even if it means making jam with supermarket fruit... there are so much you can do (and it tastes a lot better too)

Marian said...

This form really suits the snapshot and pondering... really like it. This makes me slow down and think. Thanks.

Fireblossom said...

If the grocery store vanished, along with all the usual apparatus of daily life, I would not survive, period.

I'm laughing over the fact that you would think about deer having too much sugar! Don't fret, their diet is all natural. ;-)

Your son is such a writer! I just visited his blog. And the picture of him sandwiched between those two adorable puppies is marvelous.

Fireblossom said...

ps--I had deer in the yard about three weekends ago--first time in the 19 years I have lived here!

Lori said...

The wild and domestic, survival and instinct. I like the balance the dog vs the coyote, the deer and the fawn, how delicate the balance and if nature tips one way or the other everything is at risk. There is a feeling of sweetness to sour perhaps like cider becoming vinegar. Fortunately both would last the winter.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Sometimes mama deer leave their fawns for a few hours while they go find food - then return,. Hopefully that is the case here. I always worry when I see babies without their mamas.

Jenna said...

Beautifully described, and I like the questions you ask near the end.

Rommy said...

As much as I make fun of my plump and lazy corgi's dormant survival instincts, I know my moderately cushioned self wouldn't do much better. I hope the deers enjoyed the sweet stuff while they could get it. It will be awhile before they taste it again.

Jim said...

The wild has it much harder assuming that the domestic can afford its goodies. There could come a day, how would we react?
Your "...trees less weighted..." reminded me that I probably will pick our oranges before a possible freeze, most have turned their final orangey hues. This year my girl had 41 babies that stayed hanging to her skirts.
..

Susie Clevenger said...

Yes, this makes me ponder my survival outside of easily obtained. I so wish I had room for a garden.