Saturday, October 19, 2019

Fire in the Sky


Fire in the Sky

As a toddler, I'd stand transfixed as mother
crumpled up newspaper, layered kindling,
added a log or two, fanned embers
until they roared to life within the hearth,
screen carefully placed for protection,
rocked asleep to spits and sizzles.

This evening's sky reminded me
of many youthful evenings spent fireside,
popcorn dancing in cast iron skillet,
cat's paws kneading, rearranging afghan upon my lap,
dogs desperately begging for buttery kernels.
flickering light upon book's page.

With awe I gaze at distant horizon
skylit with flames, wonder at those cozy nights
of childhood, feel blessed.  Yet shiver,
no heat upon my cheeks as frost lurks around the corner.

Walk inside; sit at my desk like I did as a teenager,
(journal filled with scrawl, pages within losing the war
as crumpled ones gained momentum at my feet).
Tonight I'm typing, floor and rug neatly displayed
as words are deleted upon the screen, memories relived,
the wonder of being rocked, of rocking my own little ones...

flip a switch, fire comes "alive"... isn't the same,
although cats seem content and dogs cast pleading eyes
toward popcorn bowl. Call my youngest son's name,
settle in, snuggle before artificial logs, open a book,
read aloud as horizon winks, blinks and nods.

by Margaret Bednar, October 19, 2019

This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Weekend Mini-Challenge - On Wonder" and "The Sunday Muse #78".  

12 comments:

Fireblossom said...

My fake fireplace quit firing a few years ago. But it looks like an old fashioned wood stove, complete with a pipe appearing to go into the wall. People walk in and think it's the real deal, so I keep it. Plus I put stuff on it when I am watching tv. :-P

Carrie Van Horn said...

I love how this comes full circle from your childhood memories to your beautiful moments now. Those memories and beautiful moments are a muse that can get us writing and crumpling a few pages to the floor. I love this Margaret! Absolutely beautiful!

tonispencer said...

It is about time to crank up my real fireplace. the wood has been seasoning all summer long. Think I'll pop popcorn later tonight, in the antique popper especially made for fire places.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

You took me all the way back, to childhood, watching fairies dancing in the flames with my grandma........then back to rocking my little ones, popcorn and stories.........I could SEE the dogs' eyes begging for popcorn. My Jasmine loved popcorn - well, any kind of food! But especially popcorn. I loved this so much, Margaret.

Kerry O'Connor said...

I love your photos of this view, so beautiful at all hours. The sky here is glorious.

Jae Rose said...

What a magical journey through time and memory

Kim M. Russell said...

I enjoyed this warming walk through your life, Margaret. I still crumple up newspaper, layer kindling, and pile on logs in our log burner, and have a screen for when my grandson visits. You’ve captured the wonder of flames.

brudberg said...

I think it might be time for lighting up the fireplace... the wonderful heat of the ember is like nothing else. Maybe some roasted chestnuts with butter for me.

Truedessa said...

I often wish I had a fireplace all I have are those old radiators. I do enjoy going outside by a fire-pit to watch those magical flames. Ha - my bird loves popcorn. Thank you for a lovely share of memories.

Susie Clevenger said...

Oh, I love the memory painting you created. I didn't have a fireplace as a child, but slept in the living room where the flame of the oil stove made a cozy glow.

Helen said...

Memories are the good stuff of life .... may we be blessed to keep ours till the end of our days.

purplepeninportland.com said...

Lovely moments collected into lovely memories.