Monday, June 24, 2019

Summer Solstice


Summer Solstice

Spring flushed divinity,
downy seeds having floated from afar,
rooted and bloomed before parachuting
their evangelical lion-hearts elsewhere

and we beneath languid oaks
settle beside the last dandy,
nestled now amongst sunflowers and daisies,
weave innocence and loyalty together,

crown ourselves with garland vines,
twirled and twisted, become woodland nymphs
dancing barefoot, toes tangling in tall grass,
skirts billowing, laughing, falling,

lost in a fledgling summer sky
whose clouds beckon youthful dreams
to soar heavenward, sheltering and protecting
within the loftiness of a summer solstice.

By Margaret Bednar, June 23, 2019




Linked with ”Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - weekend mini challenge - summer solstice

I remember watching my girls cross legged in the grass, making daisy chains, crowning and necklacing themselves, summer sun seemingly made for little girls and twirling skirts

I invite you to listen to me read my poem: https://soundcloud.com/margaretbednar/summer-solstice-1

6 comments:

Jim said...

I like this one sentence poem. It has plenty of activity concerning being ready for early to midsummer. I also tried making a four liner with little descriptive supplement by using only the first line of each verse. Not too bad.
I also like your weed patch sunflower picture, it reminds me of Midwest fields left uncultivated.
..

Kerry O'Connor said...

There is a perceptible lightness to these lines, infused with the golden light of daisies. It is a most satisfying read.

tonispencer said...

A fledgling sky...that is so beautiful and so full of promise. I also like that you garlanded yourselves. That is so wonderful. The pic is wonderful.

brudberg said...

I love the youthful dancing here... exactly like midsummer should be... you would love a Swedish midsummer.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Gorgeous!

Magaly Guerrero said...

I love the sense of fun and youth and renewal, all together under summer delight.