Sunday, June 9, 2019

Devotion

123rf
Devotion

A poetic romancer you are not,
yet considerate you certainly are;
most likely to bring home
grocery store (last-minute) carnations

but I don't mind.  They're rumored to be
from Mary's tears, a mother's undying love.

My love is simple.  I don't need red roses,
just devotion; not worship, but sincerity,
fidelty, love... and let's throw in passion

because the kids will squirm
when I read this poem
and you'll wink behind their backs.

Only you.  Forever.  Let the rose thirst
and wilt on its stem; that's what happens
with high maintenance.

Aren't you glad I'm a carnation gal?

by Margaret Bednar, June 9, 2019

I invite you to listen to me read my poem...



Linked with "Poets United - Poetry Pantry #482"

This is linked with "The Sunday Muse #59".  The prompt will remain open for a week at least.  Come over with your words and play along!  The image for the prompt is:

Photo by Carlo Pautasso

21 comments:

Lori said...

I think I'm a carnation girl too. A wonderful write!

Lori said...

Oh... and I loved listening to it as well!

Wendy Bourke said...

Love it! Enjoyed the direction you went in with this piece and the way in which, the tender quips play off the title ~ Devotion ~ It is clear, this is a relationship you both are very comfortable in … and that to me says: a long and enduring union. (You don't get to 'comfortable' over night … that is for sure.) You've maintained an engaging and authentic conversational tone throughout, that works wonderfully with the content, and closed with an awesome clever-and-droll line, that left me with a smile. In short, this poem is a delight to read.

Wendy Bourke said...

Oh, almost forgot - I very much enjoyed the reading. Thank you for that!

Carrie Van Horn said...

I love this Margaret and hearing you read it was wonderful! 💐

Sherry Blue Sky said...

This is lovely, and how wonderful to have a marriage like yours.

Old Egg said...

What a beautiful poem and delightfully recited.

Gillena Cox said...

Nice poem. Happy you dropped by my sumie Sunday today

Much❤🕊❤love

dsnake1 said...

sometimes the simple things are the best. true love. devotion. forever.
enjoyed your reading of the poem. :)

Rommy said...

Oh hells yes I loved it! I love the way this piece gets across the sweetness in long-lasting love affairs.

I giggled quite knowingly at the forth verse. My kids are very supportive of my poetry in general, but I've learned to be considerate and give them a heads up if the latest poem on my blog is about my husband, so they can avoid the squirming that day. :D

ayala said...

A blessed marriage. What more can a girl ask for? :)

Mary said...

This poem made me smile!!!

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
signed...bkm said...

when love is simple it is redder then the reddest rose...and needs nothing further...bkm

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

This is sweet. I hope the one to whom it is written appreciates it.

brudberg said...

Roses are so overrated.. carnations sounds perfect, and they lasts as any relation should do.

Susie Clevenger said...

Love the poem, love you are a carnation gal. So am I. I'd rather have a laugh among dandelions than a mantle vase of dead roses.

Phoenix Retribution said...

I loved listening to you recite your poem. Carnations are divine!

purplepeninportland.com said...

Beautiful reading, Margaret. I am a sunflower and peony gal. Your poem is so uplifting, with a wonderful sounding marriage.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!💞

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Loved this in so many ways! And hearing you read was a treat.