Monday, April 15, 2019

Haibun - "The Hero"

With these two at his side, he can't help but win!
I remember when my first son's voice changed, how quickly he grew after that, from 16 to man in a flash.  Confident and bold even then.  I never worried.  My youngest, so sweet, so innocent, has middle school lurking 'round the corner, my mother's heart leary for there's a monster to face: dyslexia.  It claws shame, roars insecurity, frightens with frustration.  With patience, love, and honesty I slash my sword, momentarily knock knees from beneath the beast, encourage son to be a voice of strength, hold shield high, take pride in creativity and strengths, not to mention his kindness for which everyone speaks.  Life is measured many ways besides report cards.  Not everyone gets a chance to battle a monster; only heroes.

Mighty beast roars,
a little boy whistles
as the Nasturtiums bloom.

by Margaret Bednar, April 16, 2019

The haiku isn't 5-7-5 but it IS 22 syllables

Nasturtium is a bright colored flower that means there will be victory through a battle and conquest.

This is for "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - The Touch of Snow" - write a Haibun.

Also linked with "NaPoWriMo" - National Poetry Month, a celebration of poetry which takes place each April, was introduced in 1996 and is organized by the Academy of American Poets as a way to increase awareness and appreciation of poetry in the United States.


6 comments:

Susie Clevenger said...

Oh, I can relate to this. My youngest has dyslexia. I took her out of high school her freshman year to home school her. When stress hits her, the monster gets stubborn, but she knows how to wield her sword. Big hugs for your brave boy!

Jim said...

Hi Margaret, thank you for sharing. The schools have come a long way since our days. I have a fairly light dyslexia, I will mix numbers badly. It really helps working the Jumbo, my brain puts the letters together correctly. My sister told me that persons who can't quickly relate to left or right have 'half dyslexia'. Neither of us can to that, if you are giving me riding directions please don't say turn right. It will confuse me and I won't turn either way. I got very good grades in school though. Made 100 percentile on the Army AFQT test.
TMI, sorry. But I do hope your school system has the latest in dealing with the reading, that generally is real trouble for the more seriously bothered by it. Mrs. Jim was a special ed counselor via an MSW degree for junior and senior high students. She thought a good relationship with the parents helped everyone.
..

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I look at his sweet smile and his kind eyes, and that matters more than anything. I LOVE that you have TWO dogs. Those three faces are priceless.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

He's a hero with a gorgeous smile! Such a poignant haibun, Margaret ❤️

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Yes, there are many forms of heroism.

Creativity and kindness are wonderful qualities.

brudberg said...

Dyslexia can be a burden, but with creativity and kindness there are so many doors to open. Love this... and the picture is so sweet.