Saturday, March 23, 2019

Redmond


Redmond

As far as I know
I've not a drop of Irish blood
coursing through my veins

yet swoon when I hear said accent,
dream of traversing Cliffs of Moher
in County Clare or the Ring of Kerry,
raise a glass in the town of Killarney.

(Just reading an Ireland map
makes one a poet...)

A mop of red hair, fair of face,
and I believe I've found
my Wise Protector,
a drop of Irish and I settle
for not one but two.

One I name Blue
for the adventuring we will do
upon mountain's Blue Ridge,
another I name Redmond,

nicknamed Red,
not for the outlaw O'Hanlan,
although he's a bit mischievous,
as puppies will be.  It's those moments
when he settles beside me, sitting so righteous,
so dignified for one so young,

that my heart swells, remembers
the comforting reds of Grandmother's house
and know my earliest memories
of fragrant trellised blooms,
warm tart pies, and red shuttered windows

still linger in my memory, if not by blood,
then perhaps a craving for the comfort
of red (Lusca) wine and blue skies...
and two puppies, Blue and Red.

by Margaret Bednar, March 23, 2019

need something to pair with that cabbage?  https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/wines-by-country/Irish-Wine/Lusca-Irish-Wines

My poem reminiscing about my Grandmother's house:  https://margaretbednar365.blogspot.com/2015/02/red.html

This poem is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Weekend Mini Challenge - Nomenclature"   Anyone an join the fun - have you tried writing a poem?... I welcome you to try! 

12 comments:

said...

That is the sweetest picture. <3

Lori Skoog said...

I love the poem AND the photo. Red and Blue! Can't wait to watch them grow.

tonispencer said...

How sweet Margaret. Red and Blue - wonderful names for wonderful pups.

Jim said...

I'm sure that both you and the new dogs are Irish. Red looks great, Blue? You did miss the Blarney Stone. I've kissed it twice.
Sorry if I mislead you about K David, they did NOT misbehave, maybe because he was old. Remember Bathsheba. I blue highligted the final sentence, at the bottom. Sorry
..

Kim M. Russell said...

This is such a sweet poem, Margaret, and the photo is too! I love the origins of the puppies’ names.

Kerry O'Connor said...

I love your puppies, Margaret and their names too! I also want to visit the Ring of Kerry one day (for obvious reasons). I spent hours going over a map of Ireland in an old atlas, looking for my name and I fell in love with that Irish part of myself, though I have yet to visit the old country.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is incredibly evocative and heartfelt, Margaret!❤️

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

How absolutely delightful! They are perfectly named, I'd say. Love the photo too.

brudberg said...

What a wonderful set of names... love the reason for Blue actually

purplepeninportland.com said...

Great names for deserving pups. Excellent photo!

Susie Clevenger said...

A lovely photo and precious names for you new furry loved ones. My mother's maiden name was McCleary. I truly can't speak it without hearing my Irish roots in my speech.

Vivian Zems said...

Ah! I'm already in love with Blue and Red! I love the nostalgic one oof your write :)