Tuesday, November 13, 2018

No Commitment



No Commitment

Ol' Tom's full of charm
rubbing my leg with a feline smile,
hoping for a little lovin' in return.

Not promising much,
just willing to spend a night, maybe two,
before off howlin' for more at another door.

His gorgeous green eyes honestly twinkle
"no commitment".  Perhaps that's why
I offer the porch instead.

by Margaret Bednar, revised November 12, 2018

This tomcat hung out at an old mill where I bought my fresh ground flour mixes.  One nice day I opened my van door and Mr. Tomcat hopped in!  I picked him up and told him he had it made right where he was!  I originally wrote this poem February of 2012 and updated it a bit today.

As you can see, he had a fine home at Red Mill
My son in NYC took in a stray/wild black kitten the other day.  Vet checked and shots and she is living the good life now.   A few years ago he brought home a stray kitten from college who now sleeps at the foot of my bed every night - proof I can't resist them all (or perhpas it is my son I can't say no to?)

this is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Tuesday Platform"


5 comments:

Anmol (HA) said...

This is plain adorable. I loved the humor in it and the "no commitment" bit just seems perfect in its own right. And then there's the wonderful ending. :-)

Vivian Zems said...

I, too, am a sucker for animals...but dogs- in my case. I love how your poem reflected the independence all cats have. They seem to consciously dictate the terms of their relationship with you. Good one!

Kim M. Russell said...

I'm a sucker for poems about cats, Margaret. I love Ol' Tom!

brudberg said...

I always find it hard to resist them... but I try my best (no strays around here, they all have collars)

Thotpurge said...

That was fun to read!