Saturday, July 28, 2018

"Dearest"




Dearest,

The sand is fine, almost powdery, wonderfully cool along ocean’s edge.
A few shells litter the way, seagulls, and our son’s footprints slowly filling up,
disappearing as I follow him toward breakwall and lighthouse.

Pick up pace, imagine him climbing huge boulders
protecting Cape Henlopen’s coastline -
Wonder if he’s pirate, dragon, or explorer today;

wonder how long childhood will cling to him.
See we have today; will cherish it with all I’m worth.
Wish you were here,


Love, Margaret


By Margaret Bednar, July 27, 2018

Cape Henlopen Lighthouse from 1940's
This is for "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Weekend Mini Challenge - At the Seaside in postcard form"   I go on many trips without my husband and he misses a lot ... I'm glad our annual family trip to Ocracoke (part of North Carolina's Outer Banks) is just around the corner.

This post card is from Coney Island - I have yet to visit this beach when I visit NYC.


11 comments:

Kim M. Russell said...

This is wonderful, Margaret. I haven't received a postcard in ages and I love the powdery sand, shells and seagulls - and being privy to Spencer's imaginary games! You've said so much with so few words - just how a postcard should be, especially:
'Spencer’s footprints slowly filling up,
disappearing as I follow him toward breakwater and lighthouse'.
I as following too!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Yes, hold fast this fleeting moment.......it goes by way too fast!

brudberg said...

I love how your wrote this with the voice of a mother. I can imagine what memories that little boy will grow up with. A true gift for any child.

Anmol (HA) said...

OH, this is such a tender write - the innocence of childhood, its fleeting nature and wondering how long it will last create a lovely sense of belonging in this postcard scene. A beautiful memory captured in all its shades.
-HA

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is gorgeous writing, Margaret!💞 Especially love the image "huge boulders
protecting Cape Henlopen’s coastline."

hyperCRYPTICal said...

This is a truly beautiful write Margaret, soft and gentle and full of love.
Spencer is indeed a lucky child to be loved so.
I do so hope your soon-to-be annual family tip is the most wonderful time.
Anna :o]

kaykuala said...

How very touching Marge! And sadly gone are the days of the postcards. Even though it takes an effort to send one, but one still writes

Hank

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

What a lovely postcard / love-letter – and, too, what a beautiful evocation of childhood beach explorations and motherly musings.

Helen said...

I know I've said this before, my favorite poems are when you write about your children. This is the perfect example.

Jim said...

Love this Margaret, I especially appreciated it more after your closing remarks. Our nine year old last year taught me how to swim like a mermaid. This summer her parents took her for a mermaid school lesson while they were in Las Vegas. She may soon have mermaid school to teach me more. Not my favorite activity.
..

annell4 said...

"His footprints filling up..." really amazing line.