Saturday, April 21, 2018

"Oberon"


Our baby Oberon.   His Registered name is Buck,
his "barn" name was originally Murphy
Oberon

Don't let innocent eyes and wobbly knees fool you,
for long sooty lashes and hesitant step belie a trickster,
though young this fairy's portrait may be.  Born Murphy,

this warrior now thick of chest and round of rump,
can arch a studly neck, lift tail arabesque,
race off as if tracked by Cat Sith
leaving us at pasture gate.  (which we forgive)

More oft he teases, this King of Fairies, our Oberon,
nuzzles one's neck with whiskery kiss,
greets with low-throated nicker,
pricks ears forward and blinks a wink.

(and as if under an ancient spell, we fall for it
every single time)

by Margaret Bednar, April 20, 2018


Oberon
Cat sith - said to resemble large black cat with white spot on chest.  Legend has it that the spectral cat haunts the Scottish Highlands.  A few Irish folklore mention it too.  Some say it wasn't a fairy, but a witch that could transform into a cat nine times.

Murphy - Irish meaning is sea warrior/ battler

This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Imagined by Brendan MacOdrum - Mythical Creatures"  I am not well versed in this subject matter and he did give me a bit of an out with "put your beloved pet in a folktale, or walk a mile in an animal's paws.   It is not a tale - but I liken him to a fairy (Shakespeare's character, Oberon, and after which I named him) and tried to weave a couple Irish or Scottish mythological creatures into this poem.

also participating with NaPoWriMo 2018.

I am also swamped this weekend with my two high school girls being in the musical Cinderella - My senior daughter is Cinderella and my freshman daughter is a step-sister.  I have little time to write these past few days, so that is another reason for my bending the rules a bit (hope you don't mind Brendan)  I will read and comment after I return from the evening shows!  

17 comments:

Ellecee said...

Oberon is beautiful. The trickster who steals your heart. I love the way you describe him “studly neck, sooty lashes, whiskers kiss and, low throated nicker.”I like how you’ve added “Cat Sith” into the mix. Well done :-)

Brendan said...

An excellent winding of the local and the mythic, Margaret -- you write of horses as one who lives and loves close to them. It's lush, plush and divine. Murph's a true seahorse, fer sure. Who knows, maybe he'll show up pulling Cinderalla's coachella.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Some lovely descriptions in this, Margaret!💜 Brilliant response to the prompt!

Jim said...

I'm glad your daughters are both in the musical. I've not attended a musical production of Ciberella. I'm thinking it is Little Theatre or other local theatre and for sure not a school because they have different ones. Leaving your animal subject brings me back to the time I left my dog at the gate. She generally jumped over the half gate but this time, unknowing to me, was too weak to jump over. Though I was young, I still feel guilt that I killed her.
One a lighter note, I loved the line,
"nuzzles one's neck with whiskery kiss."
It reminds me of my grandfathet, he would kiss us kids on our cheeks through his tobacco juice laced beard, then rub a little more on. I kiss my youngst granddaughter thar way but without the tobacon juice. Wiskers clean are still scratchy.
..

annell4 said...

I loved your poem!!! Brought memories of my childhood, when there were horses in my life.

revelations said...

perfect poem for the prompt... brought me back to child hood nd the horse farm down the road...

Gillena Cox said...

He is so cute. I can understand how he steals your heart.
Congrats about your daughters. Cinderella IS my favourite fairy tale still

Much🌼love

Maude Lynn said...

I love this!

tonispencer said...

Oberon is beautiful. He would most definitely steal my heart. I love "whiskery kisses" as well. Aren't horses wonderful?

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

A delightful read, and written about an obviously delightful being. I enjoyed every word. The photos are lovely, too.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I know how much Oberon means to you, Margaret. It is very special to raise a horse from a foal. My sister had a foal, who sadly died at 15 months. It was so special, seeing him born, watching him grow. I loved the poem and the photos are beautiful. Happy weekend with your talented daughters!

Margaret said...

I did not raise Oberon from a baby - I became his "owner" when he was five years old. I am fortunate to have been able to secure the photos of him as a newborn though :)

Kerry O'Connor said...

this King of Fairies, our Oberon

You know we all love him to bits!

brudberg said...

Love how the horse lives its name(s)... what a wonderful king.

Kerry O'Connor said...

P.S. I made a recording of the fish eagle poem, since you said you would like to hear it being read aloud.

;-)

Anonymous said...

you've captured the wild spirit of this handsome one ... a magical write with wonderful word play and an intimacy shared.

Kim M. Russell said...

Oberon is the perfect name for your gorgeous trickster, Margaret!