Sunday, April 29, 2018

"April Sunset" or "Pink Moon"



April Sunset or "Pink Moon "

Bare branches present
soft fuscia -n- lavender sky,
yellow sphere still tethered to mountain peeks,

and phlox, moss pink tickling the ground
masquerading as dainty -n- delicate;
will survive tonight's frosty breeze better than we

who gather sweaters close to chests and linger,
admire slanted face smirking, 
dangling like a Christmas ornament.

Lean back and wait for her to break away
for one last fling above barren mountain range;
soon to be stored away come season’s end.

by Margaret Bednar, April 29, 2018

This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, Fireblossom Friday: This is (Almost the End)

and NaPoWriMo 2-18 (30 poems in 30 days)

My husband and I drove up into the Blue Ridge Mountains and had a "picnic" dinner but it was too chilly to eat it outside so we ate in the car. The first night of the Full Pink Moon is supposed to have a frost and I think this bit of folklore or Native American observation will occur!   This image is from my iPhone camera (as most of the photos on my blog are)  Many people were taking photos of the moon tonight.


I invite you to listen to me read this poem:


6 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

I especially enjoyed the concluding lines. You really captured the moment before the end.

Kim M. Russell said...

My favourite lines:
'Lean back and wait for her to break away
for one last fling above barren mountain range
before stored away at season’s end'.

brudberg said...

Oh I love the sense of this... I feel this very strongly with the chill and the waiting for the sun to set.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Beautiful photo. I love the idea of the picnic dinner while viewing the pink moon. Lovely.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

What a lovely penulltimate moment!

Fireblossom said...

A nice nature poem is always welcome.