Monday, March 5, 2018

"May" a Haibun

Flowering Cherry Tree in Brooklyn's Botanic Garden
I LOVE the Japanese Hill & Pond & Cherry Walk

You hold my hand as we amble beneath fleeting, fragile petals of double blossoming florets flirting and flushing as April's lavender and lace gives way to May.  Lose count of gnarled cherry branches sprouting eager blooms, of welcoming songbirds' chorus, of bees lending their buzz to this season's ensemble.  Admire blood-red buds whose heavy bells will soon turn insistent faces toward the sun, drinking in sea colored skies.  Delight as tulip, forsythia and South African bulbs teasingly tickle soil's surface along meandering path, ready to burst forth and bedazzle.  Try kicking pebbles from our sandals as grass tickles our toes.  Close our eyes, lakeside, hear the ducks splash, find myself humming as we walk within a Monet masterpiece. Stop to embrace the aroma which is like a kiss.  Find it's easy to fall in love beneath crowns of glorious pink.

Fragile first blooms flush beneath sea colored-skies as the drake seeks a mate

by Margaret Bednar, March 5, 2018


This is for "dVerse Poets Pub - Haibun Monday - No Ke Me (Tree Buds)"  I wrote a poem more about "first blossoms"... and then as usual went back to read directions and realize "tree buds" was the theme.  Hopefully this is acceptable.  I took the liberty of reliving walking in the beautiful gardens of Prospect Park in Brooklyn during early spring.  I will soon be traveling to South Carolina and their buds and blooms arrive much earlier than in NYC.   A few of these lines are snagged from multiple poems I've written over the years and I added new ones as well ... So it is a re-worked, refreshed poem, the style of course is Haibun which lends it a whole new feel I think.


21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Margaret, It's always a joy to see your work. The exquisite descriptions in this really brought it to life for me. The haibun asks for a brief haiku after the prose and I suspect you could wow us with one.

Anonymous said...

Oops, I'm sorry--I just saw your haiku in the American sentence form...and you did wow us.

Amaya said...

Your consonance lends much to the imagery here, which paints a sensuous pastel dreamscape.

tonispencer said...

Such a descriptive haibun. I could smell the flowers and feel the sun. Your haiku in the form of American sentence is sheer perfection.

sarah said...

Delicious! Romantic in the best way.

Jane Dougherty said...

Really luscious imagery!

Gina said...

its like the flowers all lined up waiting for your blessings, such a magical description

Asobime said...

simply beautiful. i was dizzy with all the splendor, color and scent. You know how to draw one in. Yes, SC will have Spring faster than NYC, and Georgia faster than SC. Six children? my hat's off to you. The imagery is absolutely beautiful. Thank you for writing this.

Jane (Lady Nyo)

Frank Hubeny said...

I like the idea of walking within a Monet masterpiece.

Gillena Cox said...

a very romantic Monet setting, enjoyed the colours and fragrances
Happy Tuesday Margaret

much love...

Jim said...

I'm liking the sights, smells, and sounds of spring we see here. Then you get pointed with the mating of the ducks.
..

Rommy said...

The first kiss I shared with my husband was when the cherry blossoms were in bloom, just as you described.

Timoteo said...

I love the imagery of walking together within a Monet masterpiece.

Mary Hood said...

How beautiful! Everything is easier in pink!

brudberg said...

What a wonderful description of falling in love under those wonderful blooming trees. Truly amazing where all that released joy gets into that perfect kiss.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Springs dances through all your lines, breathing blooms into the mind, kissing thought with its growth... Just lovely.

Old Egg said...

If you haven't done it already do try to visit Monet's garden, it is well worth the visit. What a delight your poem was to read and I guess that Spring has arrived for you!

Brendan said...

Whose heart would not lift in blossom to this?

Anonymous said...

sea coloured skies... love that turn around...

Vivian Zems said...

So vivid...so sweet :)

rallentanda said...

This pink poem has luscious imagery. You visit some very interesting places. I always google the places you describe.