Tuesday, February 27, 2018

"I'm Made Of ..."



I'm Made of ...

a bit of vice
(unfortunately not all that's nice)
and yes, the occasional dash of pettiness

childhood summers of red clover, horses,
hammocks and kittens

six sweet babes, some grown and flown,
a mother's earnest prayers

t-shirts and jeans, a few forgotten dreams,
a better understanding of sexiness

forgiveness and virtue, today's good intentions
rooted in yesteryears and wisdom gleaned

a smile, once shy,
painted frosted sugar plum.

Margaret Bednar, June 19, 2017

Reposting this poem as I participated late in the prompt a while back.  "Imaginary Garden of Real Toads - The Tuesday Platform".

A fun prompt - one I'm afraid to dig into too much :)  "Imaginary Garden of Real Toads - Sunday Mini Challenge - What I'm Made of ..."

These red clovers always remind me of childhood - they grew in our hayfield and we would pick them and pluck them - and they were edible - during the hot summer days when we weren't allowed in the house we sat in the shade beneath the trees or on the porch - boredom wasn't something my parent's cared about :)

my favorite lipstick is "sugar plum" and I've always been addicted to frosted lipgloss - I'm a product of the '80's ... but I don't sport great big hair anymore :)


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful "take me back". I was on the dance floor.

Magaly Guerrero said...

"a better understanding of sexiness".

We should all be made of some of that. Yes, we should.

tonispencer said...

Sugar plum, a better understanding of sexiness...great poem. I used to eat the purple clover as we, like a bunny. Plus it made such gorgeous chain necklaces. You remind me I need to start making those again.

Thotpurge said...

t-shirts and jeans, a few forgotten dreams,
a better understanding of sexiness... wow just love that.. I think it resonates deep!!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

I absolutely adore this poem, Margaret!💖 Especially; "T-shirts and jeans, a few forgotten dreams, a better understanding of sexiness".... You also have a heart of gold!💖

My blog is working now had to make payment since its WordPress. Thank you for your patience.💖

Neeraj Khanka said...

"a mother's earnest prayers"

- how pure they are...beautiful !

brudberg said...

This is a perfect way of describing yourself... love it. The beginning just caught me... we need all parts to be complete.

Brendan said...

Fine compilation of what adults are made of.

Magaly Guerrero said...

The wonders we would be able to accomplish if we had a better understanding of all the things and concepts that make us human...

said...

Oh my gosh, Margaret! I love this!!! I would love to read a poem like this from every poet. It's so open, airy, and sweet. I adore this style, especially opening with vice, closing with plum, but still having the childhood of red clover and horses, plus your child-bearing magic. It takes all of that to form us. We don't have to pretend to omit any of it, especially when writing poetry. We can be child, mother, "lustress," and addict all at the same time.

rallentanda said...

Shame about the big hair...would look great with the plum frosted lipstick except you might frighten the horses LOL....Lovely poem Margaret.