Thursday, November 16, 2017

The Lake Path

Art by Ann Byrd - her website HERE
The Lake Path

I adore Lake's morning coolness upon my cheeks,
sometimes accompanied with a tear or two -
hopefully mistaken as a Mountain's morning mist;
its freshness soothes, nourishes as I pray -
look skyward as clouds contort into shapes imagined.

If I walk this circular path at noon,
Sun often lulls me into laziness, rests upon my shoulders
urges me to settle and observe a pair of swans,
ducks, geese, and dragonflies darting water's edge
whose fragile wings lift upon the slightest breeze -

reminds me I'm not in control
no matter how well laid my plans.

In the evening, greens fade to grey,
songbirds nestle into silence, and I gather strength
as twilight ribbons its way about pines and oaks
and Moon begins bestowing blessings
with a wink to those who seek.

by Margaret Bednar, November 15, 2017


This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads -  Bits of Inspiration - Dragonfly"  Its been a couple of weeks since I've had a chance to take time to write a poem - to take much time for myself - realized I hadn't even been getting outside much - not exercising, not taking time for myself.  I truly think that isn't healthy - so I've simplified a few things and hope I've found a balance...


8 comments:

Kim M. Russell said...

Oh, I'm the same, Margaret, I definitely don't get out much and I really want to change that too.
I love the way that you've structured this poem, with the two lines separate from the rest, an aside:
'reminds me I'm not in control
no matter how well laid my plans'
which seem to be the crux of the poem, while the rest is a wonderful description of a walk around a lake. The dragonflies are not the subject but they play an important part.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Love this especially; "and I gather strength as twilight ribbons its way about pines and oaks and Moon begins bestowing blessings with a wink to those who seek." Beautifully rendered.

Old Egg said...

A beautiful poem and such wisdom to remind oneself that we are not in control. Thank you too for reminding me to wink at the moon to get her blessing!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

This is gorgeous, and has a beautiful rhythm appropriate to both walking and thoughtfulness.

Susie Clevenger said...

What a beautiful poem. I find nature is my temple, my place of healing, renewal. Your poem is so vivid I feel I am right there walking with you. It is good to step back, reassess and make sure there is time set aside just for you. Thank you so much for writing for the prompt.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Margaret, I so resonate with this poem. After so many strong, busy years of forging ahead, no matter what, it is now a time in my life when suppressed memories (all of those letting go's), are bubbling up. I am now so prone to tears, me, who never grieved my losses, just Moved On. You describe the scene so beautifully, it sounds very healing. Hope you walk there often. (I know the time of life when kids are leaving home, too, and we cant protect them any more. It is hard.)

tonispencer said...

I love the pace of this. Very conducive to walking and thinking. Thank you for this reminder that we aren't in control. I like these lines of the last stanza very much. Beautiful and calm.

purplepeninportland.com said...

Beautiful and peaceful poem, with tremendous insight.