Saturday, August 19, 2017

"Uncomplicated"





It may be island life; kayaks, bicycles, sun and surf that make life charmingly simple, blinds that never fully close allowing sunrise to pry open my eyes (something I never allow otherwise). Morning coffee slowly sipped, no need for two cups as afternoon naps are expected.  Mid-heat of day I venture out, straw-brimmed hat, flip flops, camera in hand, look for contrasts, intricate lead in lines, background.  See nothing I haven't already captured.  Pause by colorful kayaks, let my gaze follow sandy path and I'm smitten with sparse bitter-bloom, rose-pink sweetness amongst grasping roots of a gnarled, stunted tree.  Salty spray and wind perhaps their doom but for now, after morning's rain, they no longer thirst and turn themselves over, as I have, to the warm slant of the sun.  May be time for that nap.    Windswept bitter-bloom sunbathes amongst gnarled salt sprayed roots - a southerly tempest simmers 

This is for "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Sunday Mini-Challenge - Uncomplicated Things" Write a poem with no more than 10 lines.  I chose a haibun with 9 lines and printed the "haiku" in blue and made it fit for the 10 line challenge - and please forgive that my haiku is a bit non-conformist :)  

by Margaret Bednar, August 18, 2107

14 comments:

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Lovely Margaret, truly captured by your words.
Anna :o]
PS: I think you might have forgotten to link up.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely drift. Thank you for breathing life into this moment.

tonispencer said...

You are forgiven for you haiku because it is lovely. Actually the Japanese write haiku in one straight line. We westerners have done the dividing up of the lines. I love the photograph. this truly a lovely haibun.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I loved all the visuals, so gorgeously portrayed. Loved this.

Julian said...

I enjoyed the picture you painted with your poem.... May be time for a nap......... great finish.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Such a gorgeous, gorgeous haibun, Margaret!💘 Especially love; "Pause by colorful kayaks, let my gaze follow sandy path and I'm smitten with sparse bitter-bloom, rose-pink sweetness amongst grasping roots of a gnarled, stunted tree." Beautifully executed!💘

Kerry O'Connor said...

No need to alter your haiku format for the prompt. There are no penalties for going over the line length.

:)

I love the sense of harmony in your description. This is the kind of getaway I need.

Brendan said...

A fine day of vacation that can only soothe, buttoned by a postcard of a haiku. Who wouldn't want to drink the whole thing? Lovely.

Anonymous said...

A picture painted in words as well as the photograph could tell.

brudberg said...

I would love to have a nap... but I fear it too... there is another side of weekend.

Sarah Russell said...

Sounds heavenly, Margaret!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Delightful!

purplepeninportland.com said...

Your haiku is stunning, Margaret!

Susie Clevenger said...

Sounds like a beautiful way to spend a summer day