Tuesday, May 23, 2017

My Spin

Doe Ridge Pottery
My Spin

I've banned the talking heads
to a few minutes each morn-
raise an eyebrow as play by plays change daily;
a comedy farce at best if one is cynical.

My cat peers into the mountain fog
from her window seat; little paws
tucked carefully beneath as she considers
what isn't seen, but revealed soon enough.

Costa Rica percolates in the kitchen
and the dogs thump hopeful tails,
a daily walk and two meals their only concern.

Simplicity and patience; it's what the world needs.

The seasoned cast iron faithfully offers
perfectly cooked eggs spooned atop
dry rye and sliced avocado -
so pretty upon my Doe Ridge pottery plate.

Calendar open; try to squeeze in "me time".
Flip through apps, select "Audible"
as lives from the past seem far more interesting
than what's being offered up today.

by Margaret Bednar, May 23, 2017

This is linked to three Imaginary Garden with Real Toads Challenges: "The Weekend Challenge - News" and "Bits of Inspiration - Mixed Media Art" and the "Tuesday Platform".

Lately I have listened to the book "War of the Roosevelts" and a "controversial" book (as I am Catholic ;) "Pope Joan"   Both captivating books offered through "Audible".  Perfect while I quilt, knit, draw, or exercise.  And a refreshing breather from "the news".


17 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh, YES! I inhaled every word of this. Love the cat tucking in her little paws and the dogs thumping hopeful tales. This is the way to remain sane these days, enjoying just such simple joys.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful write. Simplicity is certainly a good thing.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This has a beautifully serene and meditative feeling to it..❤️ and yes I wholeheartedly agree; 'Simplicity and patience; it's what the world needs.'❤️

Marian said...

Retreat is necessary, absolutely vital. Your breakfast sandwich sounds amazing!

Anonymous said...

Wonderfully composed. We all deserve a taste of simplicity.

Thotpurge said...

The best thing is to stop watching TV news and commercials.. life changes instantly!!!

brudberg said...

I like simplicity- it's the only way to comprehend anything. It's those moments making the world better.

Kim M. Russell said...

I enjoyed this so much, Margaret, especially the stanza about your cat and
the tantalising line 'Costa Rica percolates in the kitchen'. I agree wholeheartedly with the line, the heart of the poem: 'Simplicity and patience; it's what the world needs'.

Anonymous said...

How resist those realities the outside world is trying to replace our own thought with? You make a fine iteration here, detailing what "simplicity and patience" looks like. For Wallace Stevens, the poet's job is to resist reality almost successfully, which I guess means not losing the world but finding a way to maintain both inner and out worlds. Audible sounds like a a compromise in that vein. I too treasure the older news. Great response to the challenge.

Jim said...

Pope Joan, was that Joan of Ark?
"perfectly cooked eggs spooned atop
dry rye and sliced avocado," I'll have to try the avocado. My eggs will be hard, nothing runs yellow or white.
Nice reading, Margaret. Someday cool again I'll sit outback and read a book.
..

Jim said...

Pope Joan, was that Joan of Ark?
"perfectly cooked eggs spooned atop
dry rye and sliced avocado," I'll have to try the avocado. My eggs will be hard, nothing runs yellow or white.
Nice reading, Margaret. Someday cool again I'll sit outback and read a book.
..

Therisa's World said...

Space is good, for the health of one's body and soul, especially, when things are happening that we can't directly control, like the madness, in Washington, DC. Or the acts of terrorism, around the world.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Simplicity and patience; it's what the world needs.

I have to agree.

Fireblossom said...

I echo Kerry's comment!

hyperCRYPTICal said...

A further echo of Kerry's comment!
Anna :o]

Jennifer Wagner said...

I really like your escape!

Buddah Moskowitz said...

Wonderful escape from the world. Loved.