Thursday, May 4, 2017

"Flight of the Raven"



Flight of the Raven

I stood at the overlook absorbing the vast Blue Ridge,
enjoying my knew found word - cimmerian -
watched it cavort with a favorite word - luminous
across the mountain peaks...

and as always, I felt a longing, a searching
that always cloaks me at this elevation, sunrise or sunset;
ponder Time which cavorts ahead, enigmatically;
look back, see a mirage - for don't we all
like to rearrange the past into something pleasant?

---

I think it was his size that took my breath away,
not the shadow that winged over me, angel-like,
nor the romanesque profile silhouetted against mountain's vista -
although both were impressive;

felt forlorn as the messenger soared off, his secret intact
so taken with his arrival, I didn't listen.

I've learned it's a powerful privilege to cry with a Raven,
embrace rebirth, anticipate new perspectives
and I ponder what challenges await me,
what hides in the shadows, what is holding me back?

Thrilled my Scorpian's "fire" is compatible
with Raven's "playfulness"...

by Margaret Bednar, May 4, 2017



A really (seriously REALLY cool) neat Pinterest all about Crows and Ravens HERE

Ten neat facts about Ravens HERE

This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Artistic Interpretations - Small Town Inspirations"




12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exquisitely imaginative. What does hold you back? Could it have to do with the legend of the raven?

Margaret said...

I suppose being too busy - excuses such as lack of confidence perhaps.

Debi Swim said...

I like the questions you ask for it makes me seek an answer also. I also love the line about it being a privilege to cry with the raven.

Gillena Cox said...

This poem is sumptuous, I really enjoyed reading it. It read like all legend being created

Luv the hyperlinks too

Much love...

Anonymous said...

A beautiful write that may contain the answers to the questions you ponder.

hyperCRYPTICal said...

'Time which cavorts ahead, enigmatically;
look back, see a mirage - for don't we all
like to rearrange the past into something pleasant?'

I hadn't considered this - but yes we probably do. There are of course, some things we can't change and regrets remain.

Love your write - it made me think.

Anna :o]

Sreeja said...

enjoyed the opening stanzas...it took me into the scene...

I've learned it's a powerful privilege to cry with a Raven,
embrace rebirth, anticipate new perspectives
and I ponder what challenges await me,
what hides in the shadows, what is holding me back? .........just loved these lines!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Such a mesmerizing poem, Margaret❤️ sigh especially love; "I felt a longing, a searching that always cloaks me at this elevation, sunrise or sunset; ponder Time which cavorts ahead, enigmatically; look back, see a mirage - for don't we all like to rearrange the past into something pleasant?" Beautifully executed.❤️

brudberg said...

I have always loved the raven... there is something so mystic, yet very clear about that bird...

kaykuala said...

and I ponder what challenges await me,
what hides in the shadows, what is holding me back?

They can still be much of a symbol for affections despite adverse feelings against them in some quarters. Perhaps their 'squarks' give the shivers!

Hank

Sherry Blue Sky said...

That is the painting that spoke most to me as well. Love the poem and your photos are GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!

Susie Clevenger said...

"I've learned it's a powerful privilege to cry with a Raven,
embrace rebirth" I love that. This is truly beautiful Margaret. Nature speaks with incredible wisdom.