Sunday, October 30, 2016

Late October


Along the Blue Ridge Pkwy - The Gated Path

Late October

Blackgum and sourwood blaze glorious 
along with sumac & mountain's virginia creeper.

Always planned vacations 'round 
this early showcase of razzle dazzle

but living here now, I'm quietly charmed
with the finale of oranges and yellows of every shade;

hoard these smoldering days of birch, sassafras, and oak -
breath deeply knowing soon all will be equal beneath my feet.

Brown and brittle will be blown away 
or cease to crunch long before first freeze and flurry,

but for now the sun's upon my face 
and the milkweed pods gently lift from my palm 

into late October's violet blue sky and pearly white clouds.

by Margaret Bednar, October 30, 2016





10 comments:

kaykuala said...

Brown and brittle will be blown away
or cease to crunch long before
first freeze and flurry

Enjoy while we can of late October's last hurrah before the cold winds come sweeping by! Yes, and another year is coming to an end yet again!

Hank

Kerry O'Connor said...

I do enjoy the couplets - the form creates a lightness to the poem as a whole. Your photos always add an extra dimension to your views of nature.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

So beautifully described!

brudberg said...

It seems so familiar, yet your trees are all different... here November came with rain and wind...so now the leaves are mostly brown...

purplepeninportland.com said...

"hoard these smoldering days of birch, sassafras, and oak -
breath deeply knowing soon all will be equal beneath my feet."

Gorgeous writing of what must happen.

Dr. Vandana Sharma said...

What a wonderful ode to October...........

Marian said...

This is beautiful, Margaret. I too am charmed by the finale of more muted oranges and yellows, which definitely take a back seat to the show-off red. We are in the muted now... soon bare. Sigh.

Jim said...

Pretty writing, Margaret. My mind was searching as I read, and, oops, I envisioned this as coming from a delightful resting place. I could be burried here, I'm sure many were before.
..

hyperCRYPTICal said...

A truly gorgeous write and a truly wonderful read.
Anna :o]

Samyuktha Semi Jayaprakash said...

Beautiful imagery :)