Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Central Park in March


Central Park in March

A Magnolia Warbler prefers spruce and pine
but the idea of this delightful fellow 
gracing my favorite tree makes me happy,
so I paint it perched beside a flowering Saucer bud
gracing us with song this mid-March day. 

Gapstaw Bridge gracefully bends 
above hopes and dreams reflected in The Pond, 
frames the hum of people upon quilts and grass 
as I sketch a scene hinting of childish laughter
and the fluttering of hardier birds that winter here: 
Tufted titmouse, House Finch, and a personal favorite, 
the Carolina Wren. 

The essence of sanctuary must be realized in snapshots, 
in moments, as it is impossible to snare it whole:  

I’ve walked a blustery trail along Tupelo and Sheep Meadows,
hunkered beneath my oversized umbrella trying to capture 
raindrops upon Wagner Cove, sweated beneath March's sun 
capturing silhouettes within arches of cool fieldstone, sandstone, brick
and granite.  Learned to “shoot from the hip” with my lens, 
capturing lovers and quarrelers, doting mothers, harried executives, 
joy, loneliness.

Life in this rectangle where winged predators and prey 
adapt with civilization (or perhaps for a few hours
it’s the other way around), come spring is celebrated, 
reminds us of our roots if we listen.

by Margaret Bednar, March 15, 2016






This is linked with "Imaginary Garden of Real Toads - Tuesday Platform"

9 comments:

brudberg said...

I find it amazing all the abundance of wildlife in a park like that... and I wonder if we are a little bit hunters with our lenses too... you inspire me to bring out my camera.

Kerry O'Connor said...

I listened to you read this on your Soundcloud page - very beautiful descriptions. I enjoyed your reading of the seaside haibun too.

Bekkie Sanchez said...

You put me there Margaret and I saw all of your images, the smells and the sounds. I have been taking pictures and musing on my bike rides along the SF Bay Trail and celebrating spring outdoors bringing my roots along. Lovely!

Unknown said...

I could spend all day for many days n Central park, and never tire of it. Your words make the images so real, Margaret.

Buddah Moskowitz said...

Beautiful. Life through this rectangle indeed!

Buddah Moskowitz said...

Beautiful. Life through this rectangle indeed!

Marian said...

... call it "Grace"

Susie Clevenger said...

"The essence of sanctuary must be realized in snapshots, in moments, as it is impossible to snare it whole" So true...Your talent with the camera captures more of the "whole" than most. With your poetic talent added I get such a wonderful glimpse at things I might never otherwise know.

Outlawyer said...

Lovely. I spend a couple of days a week at Central Park west-- nights really so walk through it often-- so great. Great pic and almost a map of description in your poem. K.