Friday, December 4, 2015

"The Sideshow"


The Sideshow

I admire ballet hands:
relaxed, fluid, elongated -
adore Brunnhilde & Pavlova

yet my soprano & plies
provoke laughter;
arias & satin slippers, "curiosity".

This evening
a woman praised my elegant hands
and I didn't feel fat.

by Margaret Bednar, December 4, 2015

This is for "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Words Count with Mama Zen"  I selected from one of the images provided and kept it under a 60 word count.

I've been traveling visiting my son in NYC over Thanksgiving (all 6 children together = a happy mother) and moving part of our family to the North Carolina mountains - we will all join up after school ends in June.  I've missed posting to the poetry challenges - and am glad to spend a bit of time tonight playing along.

16 comments:

Susie Clevenger said...

I love your ending. What a blessing we give when we share kind words.

Ella said...

I, too love your ending! This reminds me to share more kind thoughts-thank you!

brudberg said...

Oh yes.. the hands.. fascinating, I come to think of Indonesia... where hand and eye movements are the most important. But I do love the compliment in that last stanza

Helen said...

Margaret, hands do tell a story ... I imagine her feet are equally pretty!

Carol Campbell said...

A large woman will take all she can get of praise. You have written well about that desperation!

said...

This is my favorite response to the prompt. Beautiful and deeply felt.

Angie said...

Beautiful hands. Beautiful soul.

Maude Lynn said...

This almost made me cry, Margaret!

Jennifer Wagner said...

A simple kindness can mean so much. In few words you tell an important story. Wow. Almost made me cry, too.

Kerry O'Connor said...

I love your humanistic approach.

Fireblossom said...

Throwaway lines are sometimes solid gold.

kaykuala said...

Goodness of the legs to be admired from afar but an elegant pair of hands should be within striking distance. Nice quality time being with d family during Thanksgiving, Marge!

Hank

Unknown said...

Lovely moving poem .. well done on the prompt.

Outlawyer said...

Super sweet, Margaret--a wonderful shift in emphasis from beginning to end. Hope you enjoyed NYC> k.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I LOVE this!

grapeling said...

deeply human ~