Sunday, September 27, 2015

"The Inkwell"


The Inkwell

I'm nostalgic for french script, cursive,
calligraphy

for the slanted glide of feathered quill
clean and crisp upon parchment

for considered thoughts.

Yet there it sits, curvaceous;
merely ornamental upon my desk

a testament of bygone days
when words were cherished

now more often than not

replaced with quickly clicking keys
and perfectly spaced words.

by Margaret Bednar, September 27, 2015


This is for Magpie Tales 287.  It's been a while since I have played, but this challenge was instrumental to my creativity when I first started writing poetry!  It's nice to participate again.  Please do your self a favor and visit the other poets.

Grammar police:  sets or sits?  :)  

Someone commented my blog's "verification" is giving them trouble.  I checked my status and I have it turned off - there should be NO verification code to type in.  Please let me know if this is showing up if you post a comment.  Thanks.  

9 comments:

Bekkie Sanchez said...

I now own so many things like the inkwell. Beautiful things too they don't make them like they used to. I love the pen and ink artwork too there's nothing like it except maybe watercolors. NIce write.

brudberg said...

I never had a quill and inkwell, but I did write with fountain pens when I was young.. a great feeling that I miss greatly.. maybe someday I will do it again, though the click of keyboard is soon antiqued as well in favor of a chip implant or voice recognition...

Maude Lynn said...

Cursive is a dying art. I don't even think they teach it anymore.

Helen said...

My mother's inkwell from grammar school sits on my desk ....

Sherry Blue Sky said...

That is a beautiful inkwell. Wow! I remember having inkwells in elementary school - what a mess.....ink blots, ink spills, ink blots on the paper, blotters.........I am back to see if the verification thing pops up again.....hopefully that was just a weird glitch. Here we go.....

X said...

The keyboard makes it easy to erase what you write, as well. To change. It's less personal. I'd go for a hand written note any day. It feels less ~ anonymous.

Maria Mainero said...

I love the idea of "french script, clean and crisp," but in reality, well, I'd just make a mess.

P.S. "set" is what you do with/to something. "Sit" is what the object does by itself. If that clarifies anything. (I'm not the GP, just filling in since you asked.)

kaykuala said...

It had served its purpose. The digital age persists now with just clicks!

Hank

Berowne said...

Au clair de la lune, prete-moi ta plume, pour ecrire un mot.